My Neighbor Constantly Borrowed My Appliances – When She Returned My Mixer Dirty and Broken, I Taught Her a Lesson
My Neighbor Constantly Borrowed My Appliances – When She Returned My Mixer Dirty and Broken, I Taught Her a Lesson
A woman had finally had enough after her neighbor repeatedly returned borrowed items late, dirty, or damaged. But when the neighbor broke the one appliance that carried years of family memories, she stopped arguing and came up with a lesson the neighbor couldn't ignore.
My neighbor Denise has borrowed about ten things from me this year.
It started with my ladder in the spring.
Then the pressure washer.
Then it moved into my kitchen.
The slow cooker.
The steamer.
A cooler.
My good roasting pan.
They came back late, or dirty, or missing a lid.
Never with a word about it.
The first few times, I told myself it wasn't worth making things awkward.
We'd lived next door to each other for six years.
Our kids had played together when they were younger.
We watered each other's plants when someone traveled.
I'll be honest.
Denise wasn't a terrible neighbor.
She was just careless in a very specific way.
Anything she borrowed seemed to stop belonging to another person the second it crossed her doorway.
My ladder came back with dried mud all over the feet.
The roasting pan had a dent in one corner.
The cooler smelled like fruit punch for a week.
When I mentioned any of it, Denise always had an answer.
"Oh, I meant to wipe that down."
Or, "It was already kind of scratched, wasn't it?"
Or my favorite, "You know how kids are."
Apparently her children were responsible for every missing lid, stain, dent, and late return in a five-mile radius.
I should've stopped lending things long before the mixer.
I know that.
The problem is that I hate saying no.
Last Tuesday, Denise knocked on my door around 4 p.m.
"Please tell me you have a stand mixer."
"I do."
"I knew it."
She clasped her hands dramatically.
"You are saving my life."
I already knew where this was going.
"What happened?"
"I'm making a cake for Saturday. The hand mixer I have is useless."
Then she pointed toward my kitchen.
"The cream one?"
My stomach tightened immediately.
It's a KitchenAid.
The heavy old kind.
Cream-colored, with a few scratches near the base and one little chip in the enamel where my father once dropped a metal measuring cup against it.
My mother bought it in 1989.
She used it every Sunday until she couldn't stand long enough anymore.
When she died, almost everything from her kitchen went between my sister and me.
I took the mixer.
Not because it was the most valuable thing.
Because when I switched it on, it sounded like Sunday morning in my parents' house.
That probably sounds ridiculous if you've never loved an object because of the person who used it.
I said no.
I actually said the word.
"Denise, that one I'd rather not lend out. It was my mom's."
She laughed like I'd made a joke.
"I'll be so careful. It's one cake."
"I really don't—"
"Come on."
She was still standing there.
My daughter, Sophie, was watching from the porch steps.
And I heard myself say, "Fine."
The second it left my mouth, I regretted it.
Denise grinned.
"I'll bring it back Saturday."
"Please clean it before you do."
"Obviously."
Saturday morning, I found it on my porch.
Not handed to me.
Not knocked on the door.
Sitting on the boards beside the mat where anyone walking past could have taken it.
I knew something was wrong before I even picked it up.
There was cream dried into the seam where the head meets the body.
Yellow.
Four days old.
Something sticky had dried onto the cord.
The whisk attachment was inside the bowl, still coated with a thin layer of hardened icing.
She hadn't rinsed anything.
I carried it inside.
Sophie followed.
"She just left it?"
"Apparently."
"That's gross."
"Yes."
I cleaned the bowl first.
Then the attachment.
Then the body.
It took almost twenty minutes to work the dried cream out of the seam.
Finally, I plugged it in.
The motor made a sound I'd never heard in 36 years.
A grinding hum.
Then a click.
The head jerked once.
Stopped.
I switched it off.
Waited.
Tried again.
Same sound.
I unplugged it and stood there with my hand still on the switch.
Sophie looked at me.
"Is it broken?"
"I don't know."
"Grandma's mixer?"
That did it.
I walked across the grass and knocked on Denise's door.
I wasn't even angry yet.
Honestly, I thought she'd be embarrassed.
I thought that was why she'd left it on the porch and gone back inside.
She opened the door holding a mug of coffee.
"Oh. Yeah."
No apology.
Nothing.
"The mixer isn't working."
Denise rolled her eyes.
"Honestly, you should buy a new one. That thing is ancient."
I stared at her.
"What happened?"
"It quit halfway through my cream."
"What do you mean it quit?"
"It started making some awful noise and then stopped turning."
"Did you turn it off when it started making the noise?"
She took a sip of coffee.
"I was in the middle of making frosting."
"That wasn't my question."
"Well, I had 11 people sitting in my dining room with no cake."
She shrugged.
"So thanks for that ruined night, I guess."
I genuinely didn't know what to say.
She was blaming me.
For the mixer she had borrowed.
Then broken.
Then returned dirty.
"Denise, that mixer worked perfectly when you took it."
"It was 30-something years old."
"Thirty-six."
"Exactly."
She smiled as though I'd proven her point.
"It was going to die eventually."
"Did you overload it?"
"No."
"Did you keep running it after it started struggling?"
Her face shifted.
Just slightly.
Enough.
"I was trying to finish what I was making."
"That means yes."
"It means I didn't expect your antique appliance to fall apart during a cake."
That was the moment I understood she wasn't embarrassed.
She wasn't sorry.
She didn't even think she'd done anything wrong.
I went home.
Sophie was waiting at the kitchen table.
"What did she say?"
"She thinks I should buy a new one."
Sophie made a face.
"She broke yours."
"I know."
"So is she buying it?"
"No."
"Why?"
"Excellent question."
The next morning, I came up with the plan.
But first, I needed to know whether I was being unfair.
On Monday, I took the mixer to a repair shop.
The man behind the counter was named Greg and looked like he'd been repairing appliances since my mixer was new.
He turned it over.
Opened the housing.
Checked the motor.
Then asked, "What were you mixing?"
"I wasn't."
He looked at me.
"My neighbor borrowed it."
"Ah."
That one syllable somehow contained an entire opinion.
"What did she do?"
He pointed inside.
"The motor overheated. Looks like it was under heavy load and kept running after it started straining."
"So it didn't just die because it's old?"
Greg laughed.
"These old machines are tanks."
I felt oddly proud.
He continued.
"Age didn't help, but this wasn't normal wear. Something was too heavy, too much volume, or both. Once it started complaining, whoever was using it should've stopped."
"How much?"
"To repair?"
"Yes."
He gave me the estimate.
$347.
I texted Denise a photograph of it.
"Repair shop says the motor was damaged from overload and continued use after it started straining. Repair is $347. Please send me the money."
She replied twenty minutes later.
"LOL absolutely not. I'm not paying $347 for a mixer from the 80s."
Then she wrote, "You should be thanking me for finally giving you an excuse to replace it."
I stared at the message.
Sophie read it over my shoulder.
"Mom?"
"Yes?"
"Can I say a bad word?"
"No."
"Can I think one?"
"Absolutely."
That evening, I paid for the repair myself.
And then I printed something.
Denise's niece was graduating the following weekend.
I knew because there had been a sign in Denise's yard for two weeks.
She was hosting the party.
Forty people.
Maybe more.
Three days before it, she knocked.
Of course she did.
"Hey, neighbor."
I smiled.
"Hi."
"I need to borrow a few things."
Naturally.
"What things?"
"The big cooler. Your slow cooker. And do you still have those two folding tables?"
"Yes."
"Perfect."
She started turning toward my garage like the conversation was finished.
"Hang on."
She stopped.
I went inside and came back with a clipboard.
Her expression changed.
"What is that?"
"A lending agreement."
She laughed.
I didn't.
She looked down at the page.
I'd listed everything she'd asked for.
"Large cooler — replacement value: $120."
"Slow cooker — replacement value: $80."
"Two folding tables — $75 each."
Underneath were three conditions.
"Return by Sunday at 6 p.m."
"Clean and dry."
"Returned in the same condition."
Then, "Refundable security deposit: $350."
And below that, "Outstanding balance: KitchenAid mixer repair — $347."
Denise stared at me.
"You cannot be serious."
"Completely."
"You want me to give you $700 to borrow a cooler and some tables?"
"No."
I pointed.
"$350 is refundable. $347 is what you already owe me."
"This is insane."

Comments
Post a Comment