‎My Divorced Neighbor Told Me, 'I'm Going to Take Your Husband, so You'd Better Prepare for Divorce' – I Decided to Teach Her a Lesson in a Way Only Another Woman Could

 

‎
‎
‎My Divorced Neighbor Told Me, 'I'm Going to Take Your Husband, so You'd Better Prepare for Divorce' – I Decided to Teach Her a Lesson in a Way Only Another Woman Could

‎After 17 years of marriage, I never expected another woman to sit in my kitchen and calmly tell me she planned to take my husband. When Vanessa stopped hiding what she wanted, I decided arguing with her wouldn't be nearly as effective as letting her think she was winning.
‎



‎My husband, Irvin, and I had been married for 17 years when Vanessa moved into the house next door.
‎
‎She was recently divorced, beautiful, confident, and alone.
‎
‎At first, I felt sorry for her.
‎
‎I baked her a "welcome to the neighborhood" pie. Apple, of course.
‎
‎Vanessa moved into the house next door.
‎
‎I helped her unpack a few boxes, and invited her for coffee because I remembered how miserable moving could be.
‎
‎That was my mistake.
‎
‎Within weeks, Vanessa developed a strange dependence on Irvin. Whenever something needed doing, she called him.
‎
‎Not a plumber. Not a handyman. My husband.
‎
‎That was my mistake.
‎
‎The requests started small.
‎
‎A jar of pickles she couldn't open. A smoke detector battery she couldn't reach. A loose cabinet handle.
‎
‎Then came a shelf she wanted moved eight inches to the left. Two days later, she asked him to move it back.
‎
‎Irvin was the kind of man who stopped for stranded drivers and carried groceries for elderly neighbors before they asked.
‎
‎The requests started small.
‎
‎He saw her requests as favors for someone adjusting to life alone.
‎
‎I saw the way she watched him while he worked.
‎
‎***
‎
‎One afternoon, I was carrying a casserole into Vanessa's kitchen when she looked at Irvin tightening a cabinet hinge and smiled.
‎
‎"Look at those forearms," she said. "Claire is the luckiest woman on the street. Though I bet she's too busy with her flour to notice."
‎
‎I saw the way she watched him while he worked.
‎
‎I ran a small bakery from our converted garage. I had spent six years building it, one loaf, cake, and cookie order at a time.
‎
‎Vanessa knew exactly how much of my life went into it.
‎
‎***
‎
‎That evening, I told Irvin she wasn't helpless.
‎
‎"She's manufacturing reasons to get you alone," I said. "Nobody moves the same shelf back and forth because she desperately needs help."
‎
‎I had spent six years building it
‎
‎He frowned. "You think she's flirting with me?"
‎
‎"I know she is."
‎
‎He promised he'd stop going over for every little request. I believed him because Irvin had never given me a reason not to.
‎
‎Then Vanessa made sure there was no room left for doubt.
‎
‎"You think she's flirting with me?"
‎
‎A few days later, she came over while Irvin was at work. We were sitting at my kitchen table when she took a sip of coffee and smiled at me.
‎
‎"I'm going to take your husband."
‎
‎For a second, I honestly thought she was joking. I laughed once. She didn't.
‎
‎"You should start preparing for divorce," she continued. "Men get bored after that many years."
‎
‎I stared at her. "You came into my house to tell me that?"
‎
‎"You should start preparing for divorce,"
‎
‎"I'm being honest with you. Woman to woman."
‎
‎There was something almost casual about the way she said it, as though she were warning me about rain.
‎
‎I stood and carried her untouched coffee to the sink.
‎
‎"Then woman to woman," I said, "you should go home."
‎
‎***
‎
‎I told Irvin everything that night.
‎
‎"I'm being honest with you. Woman to woman."
‎
‎His face changed the moment I repeated her words. "She actually said that?"
‎
‎"Every word."
‎
‎"Then I'm done helping her."
‎
‎He meant it. When she called about a noise in her garage, he told her to contact pest control. When she texted about a sticking door, he sent her the number of a handyman.
‎
‎But Vanessa didn't stop. She simply stopped pretending.
‎
‎"She actually said that?"
‎
‎She leaned over the fence whenever Irvin was outside.
‎
‎She brought homemade cookies and said she'd made too many. She found excuses to touch his arm during conversations, and every time she did, he stepped away.
‎
‎Then she announced a big backyard barbecue for the neighborhood.
‎
‎Irvin received an invitation.
‎
‎I didn't.
‎
‎She announced a big backyard barbecue
‎
‎He showed it to me at the kitchen counter and frowned. "I'm not going."
‎
‎I looked through the window toward Vanessa's house. Then I thought about the jar, the shelf, the lightbulbs, and every helpless little emergency she'd invented to borrow my husband.
‎
‎An idea clicked into place.
‎
‎"Actually," I said, "I think you should."
‎
‎Irvin stared at me. "Why?"
‎
‎"I'm not going."
‎
‎"Trust me."
‎
‎He studied my face for a moment, then slowly smiled. "Should I be worried?"
‎
‎"Not about me."
‎
‎***
‎
‎The next afternoon, he went to Vanessa's barbecue alone.
‎
‎I waited half an hour. Then I walked next door uninvited, carrying a large gift box in both arms.
‎
‎"Should I be worried?"
‎
‎Vanessa's yard was crowded with neighbors holding paper plates and plastic cups. Conversations slowed as I came through the gate. Irvin saw me first and had to hide a smile.
‎
‎Vanessa didn't bother hiding anything.
‎
‎"What are you doing here?" she asked.
‎
‎"I brought the hostess a gift." I set the box on the patio table in front of her. "Go ahead. Open it."
‎
‎Vanessa didn't bother hiding anything.
‎
‎Half the neighborhood was watching by then.
‎
‎Vanessa lifted the lid.
‎
‎Inside was a hammer, a full screwdriver set, three kinds of batteries, a pack of lightbulbs, a jar opener, a basic home-repair guide, and a printed list of four local handymen.
‎
‎Her smile disappeared.
‎
‎"Now you don't need my husband anymore," I said.
‎
‎"Go ahead. Open it."
‎
‎A nervous laugh moved through the yard.
‎
‎Vanessa forced one of her own. "Oh my gosh, Claire. This is so dramatic. I was joking."
‎
‎"No, you weren't. You told me to prepare for divorce because you were going to take him."
‎
‎That killed the laughter.
‎
‎She turned toward Irvin as if she expected him to rescue her from the moment she'd created. He walked over and put his arm around me instead.
‎
‎That killed the laughter.
‎
‎"Claire's right," he said. "Don't call me for things around your house anymore. If something breaks, use one of those numbers."
‎
‎Vanessa's face went red.
‎
‎I didn't make a speech. I took Irvin's hand, and we left together.
‎
‎By the time we reached our porch, two couples were already walking home. A few minutes later, another neighbor left carrying a folding chair. Vanessa's barbecue hadn't ended, but the mood had.
‎
‎For about 40 minutes, I felt wonderful. Then I started wondering what Vanessa would do after losing in front of half the neighborhood.
‎
‎"Don't call me for things around your house anymore."
‎
‎The answer began with petty things.
‎
‎A complaint about Irvin running the lawn mower at noon. An anonymous note about our trash cans being visible from the street. Irritating, but harmless.
‎
‎Then the real letter arrived.
‎
‎I stood in my kitchen and read it twice.
‎
‎I had to stop all commercial food operations from our property pending a compliance review.
‎
‎The answer began with petty things.
‎
‎My bakery.
‎
‎I had food permits. I had passed inspections. What I didn't have, I discovered after several frantic phone calls, was approval to use the converted garage itself for commercial activity.
‎
‎Irvin had renovated it for me years earlier. A contractor had handled the work, and we had both believed the paperwork was complete.
‎
‎"I thought it was done," Irvin said, pale as he held the letter. "Claire, I swear."
‎
‎My bakery.
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎That was what made it worse. Vanessa hadn't invented the problem. She had found a real one.
‎
‎I had a wedding cake for 60 guests due in nine days and a corporate order for 200 cookies after that. Ingredients were already bought. Deposits had already gone toward supplies and a new mixer attachment.
‎
‎My ovens were suddenly useless.
‎
‎Vanessa hadn't invented the problem.
‎
‎Vanessa came to our porch that evening carrying a bottle of wine.
‎
‎"I've come to make you an offer," she said.
‎
‎Irvin folded his arms. "Get to the point."
‎
‎"Tell the neighborhood that you lied." She stared at me. "You misunderstood an innocent friendship, humiliated me because I was jealous, and then apologize. Publicly."
‎
‎"I've come to make you an offer,"
‎
‎"No," I said.
‎
‎"Get off our porch," Irvin added.
‎
‎Vanessa smiled. "You have until tomorrow morning to reconsider."
‎
‎She left the wine on the railing and walked home. The door had barely closed when Irvin rubbed both hands over his face.
‎
‎"Don't get mad at me," he said, "but we should at least think about it."
‎
‎"You have until tomorrow morning to reconsider."
‎
‎I stared at him.
‎
‎"We know the truth," he continued. "She knows the truth. Why risk your business over an apology nobody important would believe?"
‎
‎"Because then she learns she can hurt us until we say whatever she wants."
‎
‎"And if we don't, you could lose six years of work."
‎
‎Neither argument was ridiculous. That was the problem.
‎
‎***
‎
‎The next morning, we found out just how serious Vanessa had been about her deadline.
‎
‎"We know the truth,"
‎
‎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”