‎I Broke My Arm and Asked My Husband to Help with Our 5-Month-Old Twins, but He Said, 'Moms Don't Get Sick Days' – So I Taught Him a Lesson He'd Never Forget ‎

   

‎
‎
‎I Broke My Arm and Asked My Husband to Help with Our 5-Month-Old Twins, but He Said, 'Moms Don't Get Sick Days' – So I Taught Him a Lesson He'd Never Forget
‎
‎When I broke my arm, I thought the hardest part would be caring for my five-month-old twins while I healed. I was wrong. The real pain came from realizing how little my husband understood about what I carried every day, and how far I'd have to go to make him see it.



‎
‎"Hope?"
‎
‎I didn't answer right away.
‎
‎Derek stood in the doorway of my mom's living room, staring at Luke in her arms, Miles in mine, and the diaper bag I'd packed for more than one night.
‎
‎His face changed.
‎
‎"Hope?"
‎
‎"Why are the boys staying here?"
‎
‎I looked at him.
‎
‎"Because my arm is broken, Derek."
‎
‎"I know that."
‎
‎"Apparently you don't. You don't even understand that I need help."
‎
‎"Why are the boys staying here?"
‎
‎His eyes moved to the folded sheet of paper on the coffee table. It was the schedule he'd refused to follow the night before.
‎
‎Then he looked back at me.
‎
‎"You took my kids and left?"
‎
‎"Our kids."
‎
‎"Bring them home."
‎
‎"No."
‎
‎"You took my kids and left?"
‎
‎His jaw tightened.
‎
‎"Hope."
‎
‎"No."
‎
‎For five months, I'd spent every day figuring things out before Derek had to notice there was a problem.
‎
‎Then I broke my arm.
‎
‎And for the first time, I couldn't keep doing his half too.
‎
‎Then I broke my arm.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Two days before I went to Mom's, I was sitting on the nursery floor trying to snap Luke's sleeper with my left hand.
‎
‎My right arm was trapped in a cast.
‎
‎Miles had started fussing behind me, and my tea sat untouched on the changing table.
‎
‎Derek walked in, stepped around a basket of clean laundry, and loosened his tie.
‎
‎
‎"What's for dinner, Hope?"
‎
‎I stopped fighting with the sleeper.
‎
‎"My arm is broken."
‎
‎He glanced at the cast.
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎I waited.
‎
‎"What's for dinner, Hope?"
‎
‎"So?"
‎
‎"So what?"
‎
‎I stared at him.
‎
‎"I was hoping you'd remember what kitchens are for. Or at least know how takeout works."
‎
‎He didn't smile.
‎
‎"I worked ten hours today."
‎
‎"So what?"
‎
‎"And I fell down the stairs yesterday."
‎
‎The doctor put my fractured arm in a cast and told me not to lift Luke or Miles with it while it healed.
‎
‎I looked toward Miles.
‎
‎"Can you get him?"
‎
‎Derek checked his phone.
‎
‎"I haven't even changed yet."
‎
‎"And I fell down the stairs yesterday."
‎
‎"He doesn't care what you're wearing."
‎
‎"Hope."
‎
‎"What?"
‎
‎"I just got home."
‎
‎"So did you stop being their father in the driveway?"
‎
‎His mouth tightened.
‎
‎"I just got home."
‎
‎"I pay the bills."
‎
‎"And?"
‎
‎"And I'm not coming home to start another shift."
‎
‎That word sat between us.
‎
‎Another.
‎
‎Like fatherhood was overtime.
‎
‎"I pay the bills."
‎
‎"I need help for a few weeks," I said. "Come home an hour earlier when you can. Take a day if you have one. Ask if you can work from home sometimes."
‎
‎"I have a job."
‎
‎"So did I before maternity leave."
‎
‎"Exactly. You're home now."
‎
‎"With two babies."
‎
‎"So did I before maternity leave."
‎
‎"You're better at this anyway."
‎
‎"I'm doing it more. That's why I'm better."
‎
‎Miles started crying.
‎
‎Derek sighed like the sound offended him.
‎
‎"Can't you just handle him?"
‎
‎"With one arm?"
‎
‎"You have another one."
‎
‎"You're better at this anyway."
‎
‎I went quiet.
‎
‎Then he shrugged.
‎
‎"You're the one who wanted kids."
‎
‎My head came up.
‎
‎"We wanted them. You were the one showing me nursery ideas before I was even pregnant."
‎
‎"You know what I mean."
‎
‎"You're the one who wanted kids."
‎
‎"No, I don't, Derek. I don't even know who you are right now."
‎
‎He rubbed his forehead.
‎
‎"I'm exhausted, Hope. Moms don't get sick days."
‎
‎I looked down at my cast.
‎
‎"I'm injured."
‎
‎"That's not my problem."
‎
‎"I don't even know who you are right now."
‎
‎I stared at him.
‎
‎"I'm asking you to help me a little."
‎
‎"You take care of them. That's your job."
‎
‎He walked out.
‎
‎Miles kept crying.
‎
‎Luke grabbed the edge of my cast with both hands.
‎
‎"You take care of them. That's your job."
‎
‎I gently freed myself and whispered, "Okay. I've got you."
‎
‎I've got it. I'm fine.
‎
‎I'd been saying both for too long.
‎
‎***
‎
‎My mom, Noelle, came over the next afternoon.
‎
‎She found me wiping formula off the counter with my good hand while Luke kicked in his seat.
‎
‎"Okay. I've got you."
‎
‎"Hope."
‎
‎"I'm almost done."
‎
‎She took the cloth from me.
‎
‎"Sit."
‎
‎"Mom, it's sticky."
‎
‎"It'll still be sticky in five minutes."
‎
‎"I'm almost done."
‎
‎I sat.
‎
‎She found my tea in the microwave.
‎
‎"You reheated this already?"
‎
‎"Twice."
‎
‎Mom knew I cleaned when I was overwhelmed.
‎
‎She made me a fresh cup.
‎
‎"You reheated this already?"
‎
‎"Where's Derek?"
‎
‎"Work."
‎
‎"And when he gets home?"
‎
‎"He'll be tired, of course."
‎
‎Mom gave me a look.
‎
‎I took a sip.
‎
‎"I'm fine."
‎
‎"He'll be tired, of course."
‎
‎"There's that voice you use when you're lying to me, Hope."
‎
‎I looked away.
‎
‎Mom didn't lecture me. She just helped with the boys, washed bottles, made dinner, and left after we'd eaten.
‎
‎***
‎
‎That night, Miles woke first.
‎
‎Then Luke followed with his loud cries.
‎
‎I nudged Derek.
‎
‎"There's that voice you use when you're lying to me, Hope."
‎
‎"Can you take Luke?"
‎
‎He rolled onto his stomach.
‎
‎"I have work."
‎
‎"So?"
‎
‎"I have to be up in four hours."
‎
‎Luke's crying grew louder.
‎
‎"I have to be up in four hours."
‎
‎"So do I."
‎
‎"No, you don't."
‎
‎I froze.
‎
‎"What does that mean?"
‎
‎"You can sleep when they sleep."
‎
‎I almost laughed.
‎
‎Instead, I got up.
‎
‎"What does that mean?"
‎
‎Luke was still crying when Derek pulled the blanket over his shoulder.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Three nights later, Mom called.
‎
‎"My car won't start. I can't make it over."
‎
‎I looked at the twins. Both badly needed a bath.
‎
‎"It's okay, Mom."
‎
‎"Don't try bathing them alone."
‎
‎"My car won't start. I can't make it over."
‎
‎"I won't."
‎
‎"Promise?"
‎
‎"I'll wait for Derek to get home. Promise."
‎
‎When he came home, I met him near the kitchen.
‎
‎"I need you to bathe the boys tonight."
‎
‎He dropped his keys into the bowl.
‎
‎"I need you to bathe the boys tonight."
‎
‎"I just walked in, Hope. Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous right now?"
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎"Skip it."
‎
‎"They need one."
‎
‎"Use a washcloth and warm water. That's what tired mothers do."
‎
‎"Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous right now?"
‎
‎"Derek."
‎
‎He sighed.
‎
‎"I've been working all day."
‎
‎"So have I."
‎
‎He looked at me like I'd said something ridiculous.
‎
‎"Why should I have to come home and take care of the kids too?"
‎
‎"I've been working all day."
‎
‎I stopped.
‎
‎"Too?"
‎
‎"What?"
‎
‎"You said 'too.'"
‎
‎"So?"
‎
‎"You think this is what I do after my day?"
‎
‎"You stay home."
‎
‎I stopped.
‎
‎"With Luke and Miles."
‎
‎"You stay home and do nothing all day."
‎
‎For once, I didn't defend myself.
‎
‎I just said, "Okay."
‎
‎Derek frowned.
‎
‎"Okay what?"
‎
‎"Nothing."
‎
‎I didn't defend myself.
‎
‎He stared at me.
‎
‎"Don't do that calm thing."
‎
‎"What calm thing?"
‎
‎"The thing where you stop talking."
‎
‎He knew I hated conflict and usually kept talking until everybody felt better.
‎
‎Mostly him.
‎
‎"Don't do that calm thing."
‎
‎***
‎
‎That night, after the boys finally fell asleep, I sat at the kitchen table with my aching arm resting on a folded towel.
‎
‎Earlier, Luke had reached for me, and I'd had to ask Derek to lift his own child.
‎
‎I opened my notebook.
‎
‎Baths.
‎Evening bottles.
‎Carrying the boys upstairs.
‎One nighttime waking.
‎Luke had reached for me.
‎
‎I stared at the list.
‎
‎These weren't favors. I physically couldn't do them safely.
‎
‎***
‎
‎The next evening, I slid the page across the table.
‎
‎Derek glanced down. "What's this?"
‎
‎"What needs to change while my arm heals."
‎
‎He read the first few lines.
‎
‎I physically couldn't do them safely.
‎
‎"You made me a schedule?"
‎
‎"I made us a plan."
‎
‎He pushed the paper away. "I'm not doing shifts in my own house."
‎
‎I looked at him. "Then tell me what you will do."
‎
‎His expression tightened.
‎
‎"Hope, I work all day."
‎
‎"You made me a schedule?"
‎
‎"I know. I'm asking what happens when you come home."
‎
‎He didn't answer.
‎
‎I tapped the paper.
‎
‎"I can't carry both boys. I can't do baths alone. Last night, I tried to settle Luke by myself because you wouldn't get up."
‎
‎That got his attention.
‎
‎"I'm asking what happens when you come home."
‎
‎"You shouldn't have done that."
‎
‎"I shouldn't have needed to, Derek. But you gave me no choice."
‎
‎Derek looked away.
‎
‎"Will you take these things over until I'm cleared?"
‎
‎"No."
‎
‎I'd spent days calling his refusal a misunderstanding.
‎
‎"But you gave me no choice."
‎
‎That word stopped me.
‎
‎"All right."
‎
‎He frowned. "What does that mean?"
‎
‎"It means I heard you."
‎
‎I folded the page and stood.
‎
‎"What does that mean?"
‎
‎***
‎
‎In the nursery, Luke stirred when I reached for the diaper bag. I froze until he settled again.
‎
‎Then I called Mom.
‎
‎"Can the boys and I stay with you for a few days?"
‎
‎She went quiet.
‎
‎"Did something happen?"
‎
‎"Nothing new. That's the problem."
‎
‎"Can the boys and I stay with you for a few days?"
‎
‎"Hope."
‎
‎"I can't keep risking my arm because Derek won't pick them up. I need my arm to heal properly, Mom. My boys need me."
‎
‎Her voice softened. "Do you want me to come get you? The car is sorted."
‎
‎"Yes. I'll pack what we need."
‎
‎"Do you want me to come get you?"
‎
‎"Are you leaving him?"
‎
‎Derek was in the living room watching television.
‎
‎"No. I'm trying to heal."
‎
‎That was the first time I'd said it without apologizing.
‎
‎***
‎
‎An hour later, Mom handled the boys while I packed the car. Derek came out of the garage as I zipped the diaper bag.
‎
‎"No. I'm trying to heal."
‎
‎"Where are you going?"
‎
‎"Mom's."
‎
‎"With Luke and Miles?"
‎
‎"Yes."
‎
‎His face changed.
‎
‎"For how long?"
‎
‎"I don't know."
‎
‎"With Luke and Miles?"
‎
‎"Hope, you can't just walk out."
‎
‎"I asked you to help me stay."
‎
‎He stared at me.
‎
‎I didn't wait for another argument.
‎
‎I got in the car.
‎
‎"Hope, you can't just walk out."
‎
‎***
‎
‎At Mom's, Luke fell asleep against her chest while Miles kicked beside me on the couch.
‎
‎My phone rang.
‎
‎"Bring them home," Derek said.
‎
‎"No."
‎
‎"I'm their father."
‎
‎"Then start acting like one."
‎
‎"Bring them home."
‎
‎He went silent.
‎
‎Then his voice sharpened.
‎
‎"Do you know what this makes me look like?"
‎
‎There it was.
‎
‎Not "Are you okay?"
‎
‎Not "Is your arm worse?"
‎
‎"Do you know what this makes me look like?"
‎
‎It was about what it looked like.
‎
‎"Tell people the truth," I said.
‎
‎"NO! How dare you make me look like some deadbeat?"
‎
‎"I didn't make you look like anything, Derek."
‎
‎"What am I supposed to tell my mother?"
‎
‎"Tell people the truth."
‎
‎"The truth."
‎
‎"And what's that?"
‎
‎"Tell her I broke my arm. Tell her I asked you to help me. Tell her you said moms don't get sick days."
‎
‎Silence.
‎
‎Then Derek said, "You're humiliating me."
‎
‎That was when I understood.
‎
‎"You're humiliating me."
‎
‎"You weren't embarrassed when you said it."
‎
‎"What?"
‎
‎"You weren't embarrassed when I was begging you."
‎
‎"Hope."
‎
‎"You're embarrassed someone might find out."
‎
‎My hand shook when I ended the call.
‎
‎"You weren't embarrassed when you said it."
‎
‎Mom noticed.
‎
‎She just reached for Miles.
‎
‎"Give him here."
‎
‎"I can hold him."
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎That was different from "You can't."
‎
‎So I let her.
‎
‎"Give him here."
‎
‎***
‎
‎Derek arrived the next evening looking furious.
‎
‎"My mother called me," he said as I let him in. "She wanted to see you and the boys. I had to tell her you weren't home."
‎
‎"And?"
‎
‎"She asked why."
‎
‎I watched his jaw tighten.
‎
‎"My mother called me."
‎
‎"What did you tell her?"
‎
‎"The truth, apparently."
‎
‎That surprised me.
‎
‎Derek looked toward the living room.
‎
‎"She asked whether I'd been helping since you broke your arm."
‎
‎"What did you tell her?"
‎
‎"And?"
‎
‎"I told her you're home with the boys, and I'm at work all day."
‎
‎I waited.
‎
‎Derek rubbed the back of his neck.
‎
‎"Then she asked why you had to leave the house just to get someone to help you."
‎
‎"What did you say?"
‎
‎"I told her you're home with the boys."
‎
‎He looked away.
‎
‎"Nothing."
‎
‎"Why not?"
‎
‎His jaw tightened. "Because I knew how it sounded."
‎
‎Before I could answer, Miles started crying. Derek looked at me automatically.
‎
‎"Hope?"
‎
‎"Why not?"
‎
‎I stayed where I was.
‎
‎"You've got him."
‎
‎"I don't know what he wants."
‎
‎"Neither do I yet."
‎
‎"You usually know."
‎
‎"I usually find out."
‎
‎I stayed where I was.
‎
‎He hesitated before lifting Miles.
‎
‎The crying got louder.
‎
‎"See?" Derek said. "I'm making it worse."
‎
‎"You've held him for ten seconds."
‎
‎"What do I do?"
‎
‎The answers lined up in my head.
‎
‎"I'm making it worse."
‎
‎Instead, I said, "Start paying attention."
‎
‎He began pacing too fast. Miles cried harder. Derek slowed down, and a minute later, the crying softened.
‎
‎"He's stopping."
‎
‎"Yeah."
‎
‎Derek looked down at him.
‎
‎"Start paying attention."
‎
‎"You make this look easy."
‎
‎"You told me I do nothing."
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎"Why?"
‎
‎He swallowed.
‎
‎"Because every time I came home, you already knew what they needed. I didn't."
‎
‎"You told me I do nothing."
‎
‎"You could've learned."
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎"Then why didn't you?"
‎
‎His voice dropped.
‎
‎"Because I felt useless. Every time you asked, it reminded me."
‎
‎"So you wanted me to stop asking."
‎
‎"Then why didn't you?"
‎
‎He nodded.
‎
‎Miles curled his fist into Derek's shirt.
‎
‎"Being scared doesn't excuse what you said."
‎
‎"I know."
‎
‎I'd wanted to see Derek holding one of our sons like that.
‎
‎Now he finally was.
‎
‎"Being scared doesn't excuse what you said."
‎
‎***
‎
‎A few days later, Derek texted me a photo of our spotless kitchen.
‎
‎"Cleaned everything. Come home?"
‎
‎I stared at it, then typed:
‎
‎"What time does Miles usually take his last bottle?"
‎
‎The typing dots appeared, stopped, then appeared again.
‎
‎No answer.
‎
‎"Cleaned everything. Come home?"
‎
‎That evening, Derek came to Mom's.
‎
‎"What do you want me to do, Hope?"
‎
‎"I want you to stop waiting for instructions."
‎
‎"I'm trying."
‎
‎"Then try without making me your manager."
‎
‎Derek came to Mom's.
‎
‎He sat across from me.
‎
‎"I cleaned the house. I thought you'd be happy."
‎
‎"I'd be happier if you knew why Miles cries differently from Luke."
‎
‎Derek looked down.
‎
‎"Then teach me."
‎
‎"I thought you'd be happy."
‎
‎I almost did.
‎
‎The old version of me would've made another list before he finished the sentence.
‎
‎Instead, I shook my head.
‎
‎"No. Watch them. Learn them. Be here long enough to know."
‎
‎His face tightened.
‎
‎"Be here long enough to know."
‎
‎"And if I mess up?"
‎
‎"You will."
‎
‎He looked at me.
‎
‎"So will I."
‎
‎That surprised him.
‎
‎I glanced at my cast.
‎
‎"You will."
‎
‎"I've spent weeks feeling like I'm failing because I can't even lift my own sons."
‎
‎"Hope..."
‎
‎"Let me finish. When this comes off, I get another chance to feel like their mom again. You can have a second chance too."
‎
‎Derek leaned forward.
‎
‎"At us?"
‎
‎"At being better than you've been."
‎
‎"Hope..."
‎
‎I held his gaze.
‎
‎"But I'm not dragging you there."
‎
‎***
‎
‎Over the next few weeks, he started showing up before I asked.
‎
‎He left work on time twice a week. He added the boys' appointments to his own calendar. He learned that Luke settled faster against his chest and that Miles usually needed movement before sleep.
‎
‎I held his gaze.
‎
‎He still got things wrong.
‎
‎I stopped rescuing him every time.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Three weeks later, my arm was healing well enough that I brought some of our things home.
‎
‎Not everything.
‎
‎Derek noticed.
‎
‎"You're keeping clothes at your mom's?"
‎
‎He still got things wrong.
‎
‎"Yes."
‎
‎"Because you don't trust me?"
‎
‎"Because I'm learning to trust myself. If this falls apart again, I won't wait until I'm broken to do something about it."
‎
‎That night, Miles cried from the nursery.
‎
‎I started to rise.
‎
‎"Because you don't trust me?"
‎
‎Derek was already moving.
‎
‎"I've got him. That's his tired cry."
‎
‎He disappeared down the hall.
‎
‎A minute later, the crying softened.
‎
‎I picked up my tea.
‎
‎Still warm.
‎
‎I picked up my tea.
‎
‎For months, I'd thought a good mother carried everything.
‎
‎Then I broke my arm and learned something better.
‎
‎Good mothers don't have to prove how much they can survive.
‎
‎And fathers shouldn't have to be asked to be fathers.
‎
‎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I’m 70 years old. Twenty years ago, my son, his wife, and their two kids were driving back from my place after an early Christmas visit.