‎At 69, I Sold My House to Travel Around the World Despite My Children's Protests – In Australia, a Man Invited Me to His Home for Coffee, but When I Walked Into His Living Room, I Froze

 

‎
‎
‎At 69, I Sold My House to Travel Around the World Despite My Children's Protests – In Australia, a Man Invited Me to His Home for Coffee, but When I Walked Into His Living Room, I Froze
‎
‎I'd traveled halfway around the world, determined to start living for myself. I never expected an ordinary coffee invitation to bring me face-to-face with something I thought I'd lost over a decade ago.



‎
‎I stopped so suddenly in Arthur's living room that my purse slipped from my shoulder.
‎
‎For a few seconds, I couldn't hear the kettle in the kitchen.
‎
‎I couldn't hear the clock ticking behind me.
‎
‎I could only stare above his fireplace.
‎
‎I stopped so suddenly in Arthur's living room.
‎
‎And for more than 20 years, I'd believed it was gone.
‎
‎"Abigail?"
‎
‎Arthur's voice came from behind me.
‎
‎I turned.
‎
‎He was holding two coffee mugs.
‎
‎I pointed above the fireplace.
‎
‎"Where did you get that?"
‎
‎His face changed.
‎
‎That was when I knew this wasn't some strange coincidence.
‎
‎I'd believed it was gone.
‎
‎***
‎
‎I had spent almost my entire adult life taking care of other people.
‎
‎A husband, four children, and then grandchildren.
‎
‎I worked as a school secretary for 32 years, packed lunches, picked up sick kids, loaned money whenever someone needed it but rarely got it back, and babysat whenever someone called.
‎
‎I had spent almost my entire adult life taking care of other people.
‎
‎After my husband, Robert, died twelve years ago, I became even more useful.
‎
‎That sounds bitter. Maybe it is a little.
‎
‎My children weren't terrible people, but somewhere along the way, they became used to me always being available.
‎
‎If Karen needed someone to watch her boys, she called.
‎
‎If David was short on rent, he called.
‎
‎That sounds bitter.
‎
‎If Melissa needed help setting up a birthday party, she called.
‎
‎If Eric needed a ride from the airport, somehow I was always the first option.
‎
‎But weeks could pass without anyone calling just to ask how I was. My children rarely helped me.
‎
‎I told myself that it was normal.
‎
‎Families were busy.
‎
‎I was always the first option.
‎
‎After my husband died, I struggled for years to feel like myself again.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Then one Tuesday morning, I stood in my kitchen looking at a wall calendar covered with other people's plans.
‎
‎My grandson's soccer tournament.
‎Melissa's dentist appointment because I was watching her daughter.
‎A reminder to transfer money to David.
‎Nothing on that calendar belonged to me.
‎
‎I struggled for years.
‎
‎And I suddenly realized I was 69, and I'd spent most of my life waiting for "someday."
‎
‎Someday we'd visit Italy.
‎
‎Someday I'd see Japan.
‎
‎Someday we'd go to Australia.
‎
‎Someday I'd sit in a café in Paris and order something I couldn't pronounce.
‎
‎Robert and I had talked about traveling after retirement.
‎
‎Then he got sick.
‎
‎"Someday" ended before it started.
‎
‎I'd spent most of my life waiting for "someday."
‎
‎I made a major decision.
‎
‎I sold the house and booked a trip around the world.
‎
‎My children reacted as if I'd sold a national monument!
‎
‎"You're being selfish, Mom," Karen said.
‎
‎"What about the grandkids?" Melissa asked.
‎
‎David was worse.
‎
‎"You're seriously going to waste all that money traveling?"
‎
‎I made a major decision.
‎
‎Then Eric snapped and said something I still remember perfectly.
‎
‎"That house was supposed to stay in the family."
‎
‎I stared at him.
‎
‎"It's my house."
‎
‎He didn't like that answer.
‎
‎***
‎
‎When I refused to change my plans, Karen and David blocked my number!
‎
‎That hurt more than I let anyone see.
‎
‎But I stuck to my guns, anyway.
‎
‎He didn't like that answer.
‎
‎I told myself that while I could still walk through airports, carry my own suitcase, climb stairs without asking permission from my knees, and explore, I would see what I could.
‎
‎I wanted to do that one thing for myself.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Australia was my fourth stop.
‎
‎And that was where I met Arthur.
‎
‎I wanted to do that one thing for myself.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Arthur was 71, widowed, gentle, and had the kind of dry humor that sneaked up on you.
‎
‎We met in Melbourne at a small second-hand bookstore.
‎
‎I reached for a detective novel at the same time he did.
‎
‎He looked at my hand over his.
‎
‎"I suppose at our age, fighting over it would be undignified."
‎
‎"At our age?"
‎
‎He smiled.
‎
‎We met in Melbourne.
‎
‎"Fair point. You look 35," he replied.
‎
‎"Now I know you're definitely dishonest."
‎
‎Arthur laughed.
‎
‎We had coffee that afternoon, then another two days later.
‎
‎Then an afternoon walk through a garden where he spent 25 minutes arguing that roses were overrated.
‎
‎"I know you're definitely dishonest."
‎
‎"They're needy," he said.
‎
‎"They're flowers."
‎
‎"Exactly. Imagine being that demanding and not even paying rent."
‎
‎I laughed more around Arthur than I had in years.
‎
‎He loved jazz. So did I.
‎
‎We both also liked old movies and gardening.
‎
‎"They're needy."
‎
‎Arthur also read detective novels, grew tomatoes badly, and had been married to his wife, Anne, for 38 years before she died.
‎
‎We didn't pretend we were young and didn't play ridiculous games.
‎
‎We talked about spouses we'd lost.
‎
‎Children.
‎
‎Regrets.
‎
‎Loneliness.
‎
‎We talked about spouses we'd lost.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Once, over a late lunch, Arthur said, "Nobody warns you that grief gets quieter, but it doesn't entirely leave."
‎
‎I knew exactly what he meant.
‎
‎***
‎
‎After several afternoons together, he invited me to his home.
‎
‎"I've got a whole shelf of old records you'd love," he said. "Come for coffee, and I'll show you."
‎
‎I trusted him.
‎
‎I knew exactly what he meant.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Arthur's house was warm and ordinary, filled with books, mismatched furniture, and family photos along the hallway.
‎
‎"I'll put the kettle on," he said. "Make yourself at home."
‎
‎I stepped into the living room and froze.
‎
‎A painting hung above the fireplace.
‎
‎"Make yourself at home."
‎
‎The painting was a cottage beside a lake with two pine trees leaning toward the water.
‎
‎A crooked wooden dock was also featured. And in the bottom right corner, almost hidden in the grass, were the initials "R.M."
‎
‎It was Robert's painting! The one I thought had been destroyed!
‎
‎I knew every brushstroke. I'd watched him paint it.
‎
‎My hands started shaking.
‎
‎It was Robert's painting!
‎
‎***
‎
‎Arthur put the mugs down.
‎
‎"Abigail, sit down."
‎
‎"No."
‎
‎My voice sounded sharper than intended.
‎
‎"I need you to tell me where you got that."
‎
‎He looked at the painting.
‎
‎"From Robert."
‎
‎I stared at him.
‎
‎"Abigail, sit down."
‎
‎"What did you say?"
‎
‎"Robert sent it to me."
‎
‎My first thought was that it was impossible. My second was worse.
‎
‎"You knew my husband?"
‎
‎Arthur nodded.
‎
‎I felt the room shift.
‎
‎"How?"
‎
‎He sat slowly.
‎
‎"You knew my husband?"
‎
‎"I was 24. Robert would've been 22 or 23. He came to Australia for almost a year."
‎
‎I knew my husband had traveled before we met. I knew he'd gone to Australia. But he'd rarely talked about it.
‎
‎Arthur continued.
‎
‎"We initially worked together for a few months at a hotel outside Melbourne. Terrible place. Terrible pay."
‎
‎A small smile crossed his face.
‎
‎He'd rarely talked about it.
‎
‎"Robert was worse at carrying luggage than anyone I've ever seen."
‎
‎That sounded exactly like him.
‎
‎I finally sat.
‎
‎Arthur told me they became friends quickly.
‎
‎They traveled together on weekends, listened to records, played cards, and worked bad jobs.
‎
‎That sounded exactly like him.
‎
‎Robert painted whenever he could afford the supplies.
‎
‎"That cottage," Arthur said, pointing toward the fireplace, "was based on a place we stayed near a lake. He painted the first version there."
‎
‎"But he painted it after we were married."
‎
‎Arthur paused.
‎
‎"He painted it again."
‎
‎That confused me.
‎
‎Then he explained.
‎
‎"He painted it again."
‎
‎Years after he painted the second version at home and it was destroyed, Robert created a third one from memory: the one hanging over Arthur's fireplace.
‎
‎It wasn't the exact painting I'd lost. It was a copy.
‎
‎That was why the details looked so familiar.
‎
‎"Why would he send it to you?"
‎
‎Arthur stood.
‎
‎"There's something I need to show you."
‎
‎He left the room.
‎
‎It was a copy.
‎
‎My heart was pounding.
‎
‎When Arthur returned, he was carrying a wooden box.
‎
‎He placed it on the coffee table.
‎
‎Inside were letters, dozens of them.
‎
‎Every envelope had one sender written across the front.
‎
‎Robert.
‎
‎My heart was pounding.
‎
‎***
‎
‎I picked up the first letter.
‎
‎The return address was from our old house.
‎
‎My hands started shaking again.
‎
‎"How long were you two writing?"
‎
‎"On and off for decades."
‎
‎I looked at Arthur.
‎
‎"Robert never told me."
‎
‎That hurt.
‎
‎My hands started shaking.
‎
‎Arthur saw it.
‎
‎"He wasn't hiding an affair, Abigail."
‎
‎"I didn't say that."
‎
‎"You thought it."
‎
‎I almost laughed. He was right.
‎
‎Arthur explained that after Robert returned to the United States, they wrote occasionally.
‎
‎Then life became busy.
‎
‎"You thought it."
‎
‎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”