‎When We Were 19, My Best Friend and I Promised That If We Were Both Single at 60, We'd Find Each Other – I Turned 60 Last Tuesday, and My Old Landline Rang ‎

 

‎
‎
‎When We Were 19, My Best Friend and I Promised That If We Were Both Single at 60, We'd Find Each Other – I Turned 60 Last Tuesday, and My Old Landline Rang
‎
‎
‎I'd spent decades convincing myself that some people belong in your past, no matter how much you once wanted them in your future. Then a voice I hadn't heard in 41 years said my name.
‎
‎The hospital room was at the end of the hall. I stood outside it with my hand on the door, trying to understand how I'd gotten there. Forty-one years.



‎
‎That's how long it had been since I'd seen Jeffrey.
‎
‎I stood outside it with my hand on the door.
‎
‎Forty-one years since his last letter and since he'd asked me not to contact him again.
‎
‎And now his son, Peter, stood beside me, saying, "He's been asking if you're here yet."
‎
‎I looked at him.
‎
‎Peter had Jeffrey's eyes.
‎
‎"Is he awake?"
‎
‎"He's been trying to stay awake for you."
‎
‎That almost made me turn around.
‎
‎Peter had Jeffrey's eyes.
‎
‎I was 60 years old. I'd spent most of my life learning how to live without Jeffrey.
‎
‎Then, 40 minutes earlier, my childhood landline had rung. Now I was about to see him again.
‎
‎I pushed open the door. Jeffrey lay in the hospital bed. He was thinner than the boy I remembered. His hair had gone white. His face had changed.
‎
‎But he was still Jeffrey.
‎
‎He was thinner.
‎
‎His eyes found mine.
‎
‎"Ruthie."
‎
‎My throat closed. Then I noticed the chair beside his bed.
‎
‎Something was waiting on it.
‎
‎And the second I saw it, I gasped and stopped breathing.
‎
‎Something was waiting on it.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Jeffrey and I became best friends when we were 17. Not boyfriend and girlfriend. Just Jeffrey and Ruth.
‎
‎He dated other girls. I went out with other boys. I even went to prom with someone else, though my best friend ended up driving me there after my date's car broke down.
‎
‎Everyone thought we were ridiculous.
‎
‎They all believed we'd eventually realize we belonged together, but we laughed.
‎
‎He dated other girls.
‎
‎My mother, Erica, used to watch us at the kitchen table arguing over homework and say, "One day, the two of you are going to figure this out."
‎
‎Jeffrey would grin.
‎
‎"Figure out what?"
‎
‎"You know exactly what."
‎
‎Then he'd look at me. I'd roll my eyes.
‎
‎"We're friends, Mom."
‎
‎That was the truth. Or at least it was what we were willing to admit.
‎
‎"Figure out what?"
‎
‎Losing my best friend scared me more than dating him ever excited me. I think he felt the same way. So we kept things simple.
‎
‎Until one summer night when we were 19.
‎
‎We'd both had terrible dates. Mine spent two hours talking about himself.
‎
‎Jeffrey's date left early after arguing with him about a movie.
‎
‎Losing my best friend.
‎
‎We met at our old high school football field afterward. The gates were open, so we climbed under the bleachers and sat on the grass.
‎
‎Jeffrey leaned back against a metal support.
‎
‎"We're bad at this."
‎
‎"Dating?"
‎
‎"Choosing people."
‎
‎I laughed.
‎
‎"We're bad at this."
‎
‎He was quiet for a moment. Then he said, "What if we never get it right?"
‎
‎"We'll survive."
‎
‎"What if we're both single forever?"
‎
‎I looked at him. Then Jeffrey held out his pinky.
‎
‎"If we're both single at 60, we'll stop being idiots and find each other."
‎
‎I stared at his hand.
‎
‎He wasn't laughing anymore.
‎
‎"Jeffrey."
‎
‎"I'm serious."
‎
‎"What if we never get it right?"
‎
‎"Why 60?"
‎
‎"Because if we haven't figured things out by then, we obviously need help."
‎
‎I hooked my pinky around his.
‎
‎"Deal."
‎
‎He smiled.
‎
‎"Deal."
‎
‎For one second, neither of us moved.
‎
‎I remember thinking I should say something. I didn't.
‎
‎Two months later, Jeffrey left for college three states away.
‎
‎"We obviously need help."
‎
‎***
‎
‎At first, we wrote constantly.
‎
‎Long letters and birthday cards.
‎
‎Jeffrey told me about his roommate who never cleaned anything. I told him about working at the library while taking classes.
‎
‎He complained about the cafeteria food. I complained about customers returning books with coffee stains.
‎
‎We wrote constantly.
‎
‎For the first year, I knew more about Jeffrey's life than people living down his street.
‎
‎Then the letters became less frequent. Every week became every other week. Every other week became once a month.
‎
‎I thought college was changing him.
‎
‎The truth was, my life was changing, too.
‎
‎I knew more about Jeffrey's life.
‎
‎I started training to become a teacher. I made new friends. I went on dates.
‎
‎But every time something important happened, Jeffrey was still the first person I wanted to tell.
‎
‎Then, during his second year, he wrote about a girl named Margaret. She was studying nursing.
‎
‎He said she was funny, challenged him, and he thought I'd like her.
‎
‎That's when I finally understood something I should've known years earlier.
‎
‎I went on dates.
‎
‎I was in love with Jeffrey.
‎
‎I sat on my bedroom floor with his letter in my lap and cried because I'd waited too long to understand my own feelings.
‎
‎That night, I started writing to him. I got several pages in.
‎
‎I told him I loved him and thought I always had.
‎
‎Then I tore it up.
‎
‎I started writing to him.
‎
‎If he were happy, I didn't want to ruin it. So I kept being his friend for a while.
‎
‎***
‎
‎In the summer of 1986, a final letter arrived.
‎
‎I knew something was wrong before I opened it. Jeffrey's letters usually started with a joke.
‎
‎This one didn't.
‎
‎I didn't want to ruin it.
‎
‎"Ruth,
‎
‎Margaret and I are getting married. The ceremony is in August."
‎
‎I sat at our kitchen table staring at the sentence. I kept reading.
‎
‎My best friend told me the wedding would be small and Margaret's family was helping them get settled.
‎
‎Then I reached the bottom. There was one more thing.
‎
‎Jeffrey asked me not to contact him again.
‎
‎I kept reading.
‎
‎He said Margaret knew how close we'd been and that he wanted to give his marriage a fair start. Jeffrey said our friendship mattered too much to him to let it become something that hurt someone else.
‎
‎Then he wrote:
‎
‎"I hope you have a wonderful life, Ruthie.
‎
‎I'm sorry.
‎
‎Jeffrey."
‎
‎I cried for weeks.
‎
‎But I respected his choice. I didn't write back, call, or try to see him.
‎
‎Margaret knew how close we'd been.
‎
‎I heard pieces of his life through people who still knew his family. He and Margaret had a child, and he built a career.
‎
‎Eventually, the updates stopped too.
‎
‎I have never been married. I dated and had relationships.
‎
‎Some were good.
‎
‎One almost became serious.
‎
‎The updates stopped too.
‎
‎But whenever people asked why I never settled down, I gave them the easiest answer.
‎
‎"I just never met the right man."
‎
‎However, that wasn't entirely true. I had met him at 17.
‎
‎***
‎
‎Last Tuesday, I turned 60.
‎
‎I live in my childhood home now.
‎
‎I never settled down.
‎
‎After my parents died, I kept the house. I'd spent so many years moving from one apartment to another that coming back felt right.
‎
‎That evening, I had dinner alone and cut myself a piece of birthday cake.
‎
‎At 9:17 p.m., the old landline rang.
‎
‎Almost nobody called on it anymore.
‎
‎I nearly ignored it, but decided to answer.
‎
‎I kept the house.
‎
‎"Hello?"
‎
‎A man said, "Is this Ruth?"
‎
‎"Yes."
‎
‎"My name is Peter. I'm Jeffrey's son."
‎
‎I sat down. For a second, I couldn't speak.
‎
‎"Jeffrey's son?"
‎
‎"Yes."
‎
‎"What happened?"
‎
‎Peter paused.
‎
‎"My father wants to speak with you. He... doesn't have much time."
‎
‎My hand tightened around the receiver.
‎
‎"I'm Jeffrey's son."
‎
‎Before I could answer, I heard movement. Then a weak voice came through the phone.
‎
‎"Ruthie."
‎
‎Tears sprang to my eyes.
‎
‎Then came a small, weak laugh.
‎
‎"Jeffrey? You remembered."
‎
‎"Of course, I remembered every birthday."
‎
‎I covered my mouth.
‎
‎I heard movement.
‎
‎Forty-one years disappeared in one sentence.
‎
‎Then his voice broke.
‎
‎"Ruthie, I need you to know something before I die."
‎
‎I closed my eyes.
‎
‎"What?"
‎
‎"I was in love with you when we made that promise."
‎
‎I couldn't move.
‎
‎I closed my eyes.
‎
‎"Jeffrey..."
‎
‎"And I'd already bought the ring."
‎
‎My eyes opened.
‎
‎"What ring?"
‎
‎"The one I was going to give you before I left for college."
‎
‎The room seemed to tilt. I stood up.
‎
‎"Then why did you marry someone else?"
‎
‎He started crying.
‎
‎"That's what I've spent 40 years wishing I could explain."
‎
‎"What ring?"
‎
‎My best friend's voice dropped.
‎
‎"I need you to come here."
‎
‎"Jeffrey..."
‎
‎"Please come to the hospital."
‎
‎His breathing was uneven.
‎
‎"There's one thing you need to see. Once you do, you'll understand why I walked away."
‎
‎"Jeffrey... I..."
‎
‎"Please, Ruth. Hurry."
‎
‎I grabbed my coat.
‎
‎"Where are you?"
‎
‎"Please come to the hospital."
‎
‎***
‎
‎Forty minutes later, I walked into his hospital room. Jeffrey looked at me and smiled.
‎
‎"Hey, Ruthie."
‎
‎I cried before I could stop myself.
‎
‎"Hey, idiot."
‎
‎Then I saw the chair beside his bed.
‎
‎There was a wooden box I knew.
‎
‎It had belonged to my father, Thomas.
‎

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”