THE WOMAN IN THE RAIN2



THE WOMAN IN THE RAIN2

PART 1 — THE MONEY HE COULDN’T AFFORD TO GIVE

The rain had been falling for almost three hours when Margaret Wilson walked into Green Valley Pharmacy.


It was 9:18 on a Thursday night.


The glass doors slid open with a mechanical sigh, letting in a gust of cold air and the smell of wet pavement. Several customers near the front glanced toward the entrance, then quickly returned to their phones, shopping baskets, and quiet conversations.


Margaret stood just inside the doorway.


For a moment, she did not move.


Water dripped from the hem of her faded brown coat.


The coat looked older than some of the employees working that night. One sleeve was frayed near the wrist. A small tear near the pocket had been repaired badly with dark thread. A ripped gray scarf hung loosely around her thin neck.


Her shoes did not match.


One was black.


The other was dark brown.


Both were worn almost smooth at the soles.


She carried a battered purse pressed tightly against her side.


In her other hand was a folded prescription.


At seventy-eight, Margaret looked exhausted.


Not merely tired.


Exhausted in the way people looked after life had asked too much of them for too many years.


Her silver hair was damp from the rain.


Her pale face was deeply lined.


Her hands trembled slightly from the cold.


Nobody greeted her.


Not because the pharmacy employees were cruel.


They were busy.


The store was nearing closing time, and the front registers had a line of customers waiting with cough medicine, diapers, toothpaste, pain relievers, and late-night snacks.


Only one person noticed Margaret standing alone near the door.


Daniel Brooks.


Seventeen years old.


Part-time cashier.


Three months into the job.


He stood behind the front register wearing a blue Green Valley Pharmacy polo, black trousers, employee badge, and sneakers that had started coming apart near the left toe.


Daniel noticed people other employees sometimes missed.


Maybe because he understood what it felt like to be overlooked.


His mother worked two jobs.


His father had disappeared when Daniel was eleven.


Not died.


Not moved away for work.


Disappeared in the particular way some fathers disappeared: one promise at a time.


“I’ll call tomorrow.”


“I’ll send the money Friday.”


“I’ll come see you next month.”


Eventually Daniel stopped believing the promises.


His mother never complained.


That somehow made things harder.


She worked mornings at an elementary school cafeteria and evenings cleaning offices four nights a week.


Daniel worked at the pharmacy after school because he wanted to help.


He told his mother he was saving for college.


That was partly true.


Most months, some of the money ended up in the kitchen drawer when rent, electricity, or groceries came up short.


Daniel looked toward Margaret.


She was studying the signs above the aisles.


He finished helping a customer, then said to his coworker:


“I’ll be right back.”


He walked around the register.


“Ma’am?”


Margaret looked at him.


Her eyes were surprisingly sharp.


“Yes?”


“Are you looking for the pharmacy counter?”


She nodded.


Daniel pointed toward the back.


“Straight down aisle six, then left.”


“Thank you.”


“You’re welcome.”


She began walking.


Slowly.


Daniel watched her for a few seconds.


One customer behind the register cleared his throat impatiently.


Daniel returned to work.


Ten minutes later, Margaret came back.


This time she held a small white pharmacy bag.


She stood at the end of Daniel’s line.


Four people were ahead of her.


Daniel scanned items automatically.


Beep.


Beep.


Beep.


“Do you have a rewards number?”


“No.”


“Your total is twenty-seven forty-three.”


“Receipt in the bag?”


“Sure.”


The line moved.


Margaret moved with it.


When she finally reached the counter, she placed the small pharmacy bag carefully beside the register.


Daniel recognized her.


“Found it?”


“Yes.”


“Good.”


He scanned the prescription barcode.


The screen displayed the remaining patient cost.


Daniel’s expression changed slightly.


He had seen high prescription prices before.


This one was not enormous by American medical standards.


But it was enough.


Margaret looked at the total.


Forty-eight dollars and sixteen cents.


She became completely still.


Daniel noticed.


Margaret slowly opened her purse.


The inside was nearly empty.


A folded handkerchief.


A comb.


Several old receipts.


Coins.


And a few crumpled bills.


She took them out.


One five-dollar bill.


Three ones.


A handful of quarters, dimes, and nickels.


She began counting.


Her fingers trembled.


Daniel looked away.


He understood instinctively that watching someone count insufficient money could become its own kind of humiliation.


Margaret counted again.


Then once more.


She had fourteen dollars and eighty-three cents.


She looked at the prescription bag.


Then at Daniel.


Her face did not collapse.


She did not cry.


She simply looked smaller.


“I don’t have enough.”


Her voice was quiet.


Daniel glanced at the line behind her.


Three customers remained.


A man holding cold medicine.


A woman with a child.


A college-age girl carrying bottled water and chips.


Nobody said anything.


Margaret slowly pushed the medicine back toward Daniel.


“I’m sorry.”


Daniel looked down at the bag.


Then at Margaret.


“Do you need it tonight?”


She hesitated.


“Yes.”


The answer was so simple that it made everything else harder.


Daniel looked toward the pharmacy counter in the back.


“Did they talk to you about a cheaper version?”


“This is the cheaper version.”


He swallowed.


Margaret began putting her money back into her purse.


“I can come back.”


“When?”


She looked at him.


“Another day.”


Daniel knew what that meant.


Maybe when a check arrived.


Maybe when someone helped her.


Maybe never.


He thought of his mother delaying a dental appointment for almost eight months because there was always something else that needed paying first.


A utility bill.


His school fee.


Car repairs.


Groceries.


Daniel looked at Margaret’s hands.


Then he quietly reached into his back pocket.


His wallet was thin.


Inside were thirty-six dollars.


Most of it was supposed to last him until payday.


Lunch.


Bus fare if his mother could not pick him up.


A few dollars he had promised to put toward the electric bill.


He did the math.


He would still need more.


But Margaret had fourteen.


Together, they had enough.


Daniel pulled out thirty-four dollars.


He placed it on the counter.


Margaret stared at him.


“What are you doing?”


“I’ll cover the rest.”


Her eyes widened.


“No.”


“It’s okay.”


“No, son.”


Daniel gave a small shrug.


“It really is.”


Margaret looked at his employee badge.


Then his face.


“You’re seventeen.”


Daniel smiled faintly.


“Almost eighteen.”


“That’s not better.”


He laughed softly.


The customers behind her did not.


They were watching now.


Margaret pushed the money back.


“You keep that.”


Daniel pushed it toward the register again.


“You need the medicine.”


“You need your money.”


“I’ll make more.”


“So will I.”


Daniel looked at her clothes.


He immediately regretted it.


Margaret noticed.


Something like amusement appeared briefly in her eyes.


“Eventually,” she added.


Daniel smiled.


“Then you can pay me back eventually.”


Margaret studied him.


“You don’t know me.”


“No.”


“I could be lying.”


“You could.”


“I could walk out of here and never think about you again.”


Daniel nodded.


“Probably.”


Margaret frowned.


“Then why would you do this?”


Daniel looked at the prescription bag.


“Because if you’re lying, I lose thirty-four dollars.”


He paused.


“But if you’re telling the truth and I don’t help, you leave without medicine you said you need.”


Margaret stared at him.


Something changed in her face.


Her lips pressed together.


Her eyes became wet.


She looked down before Daniel could see too much.


He completed the payment.


The receipt printed.


Daniel put it into the bag.


Margaret took the medicine with both hands.


“Thank you, son.”


That was when the manager arrived.


His name was Richard Cole.


Fifty years old.


White shirt.


Dark-blue tie.


Manager badge clipped squarely above his pocket.


Richard had worked for Green Valley Pharmacy for fourteen years.


He was not a cruel man.


That was important.


Cruelty would have made everything simpler.


Richard was practical.


Organized.


Reliable.


He believed policies existed because people made emotional decisions and companies paid for them.


He had seen employees give discounts they were not authorized to give.


He had seen customers manipulate teenagers at the register.


He had seen good intentions create inventory problems, cash shortages, and complaints.


So when he saw Daniel’s wallet open beside the register, he immediately understood enough to be concerned.


“What happened?”


Daniel turned.


“Nothing.”


Richard looked at the cash drawer.


Then Margaret.


Then Daniel’s wallet.


“You paid for that?”


Daniel hesitated.


“Yes.”


Richard’s expression tightened.


“You can’t do that.”


Daniel stayed calm.


“It was my money.”


“You’re working.”


“I know.”


“You cannot conduct personal transactions while operating a company register.”


Daniel glanced at Margaret.


“She needs her medicine.”


Richard lowered his voice.


“That is not your decision to make.”


Margaret looked down.


Daniel said:


“I didn’t change the price.”


“That’s not the point.”


“I paid the difference.”


Richard looked at the customers watching.


His discomfort grew.


“Daniel, step away from the register.”


The teenager did.


Richard took his place temporarily, then looked toward another employee.


“Maria, cover front register.”


A young employee came over.


Richard turned back toward Daniel.


“Come with me.”


Margaret spoke.


“It was my fault.”


Richard looked at her.


“No, ma’am.”


“I asked—”


“You didn’t ask me for anything,” Daniel said.


Margaret stopped.


Richard looked annoyed now.


“Daniel.”


The teenager nodded.


“I’m coming.”


Before leaving, Daniel looked at Margaret.


“You have the medicine?”


She held the bag.


“Yes.”


“Okay.”


That seemed to be all that mattered to him.


He followed Richard toward the side of the store.


Margaret watched them go.


Then she did something nobody near the register expected.


She reached deep inside her torn brown coat.


From an interior pocket completely hidden beneath the fabric, she removed a modern black smartphone.


The college student in line noticed first.


Her eyebrows lifted.


The phone was not a luxury object.


But it was new.


Far newer than anything else Margaret possessed.


Margaret unlocked it.


She selected a contact.


The person answered quickly.


“Yes,” Margaret said.


Her posture changed.


Not dramatically.


Her back simply straightened.


Her voice became calm.


Certain.


“I found the young man.”


She listened.


Then she looked across the pharmacy toward Daniel.


“Please come to Green Valley Pharmacy.”


A pause.


“Yes.”


Her gaze moved toward Richard.


“Tonight.”


She ended the call.


The woman with the child stared at her.


Margaret returned the phone to her coat.


Then she waited.


Twenty feet away, Daniel Brooks had no idea that giving away thirty-four dollars was about to change his life.


But not for the reason anyone would have guessed.


PART 2 — THE WOMAN EVERYONE THOUGHT THEY UNDERSTOOD

Richard took Daniel into the small employee office near the stockroom.


He closed the door.


Daniel stood with his hands at his sides.


Richard remained standing too.


“What were you thinking?”


Daniel answered honestly.


“She needed help.”


“That isn’t an answer.”


“It’s the only one I have.”


Richard exhaled.


“You’re a good kid.”


Daniel waited.


Richard continued:


“But good intentions are not always good judgment.”


Daniel looked at the floor.


“You operate a register. That creates rules.”


“I didn’t steal anything.”


“I didn’t say you did.”


“I didn’t give her a discount.”


“I know.”


“I used my own money.”


Richard nodded.


“Yes.”


Daniel looked confused.


“So what exactly did I do wrong?”


Richard hesitated.


That was the problem.


The rules did not clearly forbid an employee from buying something for another person.


But Richard believed boundaries mattered.


“If every employee begins personally paying customer balances—”


“They won’t.”


“You don’t know that.”


Daniel sighed.


“No one is asking everyone to.”


“You created a scene at the register.”


Daniel looked toward the closed door.


“I think you’re the one who created the scene.”


Richard stared at him.


Daniel immediately regretted saying it.


“I’m sorry.”


Richard leaned against the desk.


“Daniel, do you think I like this?”


The teenager said nothing.


“I have customers screaming about prices every week.”


Richard continued.


“I have employees getting blamed for insurance companies, doctors, copays, deductibles, shortages—things they don’t control.”


“I know.”


“I’ve seen elderly customers cry at that register.”


Daniel looked at him.


“Then why stop me?”


“Because it cannot become your responsibility.”


Daniel frowned.


“Maybe not.”


Richard waited.


“But tonight I could do something.”


Silence.


Richard rubbed his forehead.


“You’re seventeen.”


“So?”


“So you make nine dollars and change an hour after tax.”


Daniel said nothing.


“You cannot save everybody.”


“I wasn’t trying to.”


Richard looked at him.


Daniel continued:


“I was trying to help one person.”


The answer landed harder than Richard expected.


He sat down.


Daniel remained standing.


After a few seconds, Richard said:


“I’m documenting this as a policy discussion.”


Daniel looked surprised.


“You’re not firing me?”


“No.”


“Are you suspending me?”


“No.”


Richard’s expression softened slightly.


“But don’t do it again while you’re on register without calling me.”


Daniel nodded.


“Okay.”


Richard pointed toward the door.


“Go finish your shift.”


Daniel turned to leave.


Then Richard added:


“And Daniel?”


He looked back.


“I’m not saying you were wrong to care.”


Daniel waited.


“I’m saying companies are bad at knowing what to do with people who care outside the boxes we build.”


Daniel gave a small smile.


“That sounds like a company problem.”


Richard almost smiled.


“Go back to work.”


When Daniel returned to the front, Margaret was sitting in one of the plastic chairs near the pharmacy waiting area.


She still held her bag.


Daniel walked over.


“You okay?”


She nodded.


“Are you?”


“Yeah.”


“Did he fire you?”


“No.”


Margaret looked toward Richard.


“Good.”


Daniel smiled.


“You don’t have to wait.”


“I know.”


“Do you need a ride somewhere?”


Margaret studied him.


“You planning to buy me a car too?”


Daniel laughed.


“No.”


“Good. I’d hate to ruin you completely.”


She had more humor now.


Daniel liked that.


“What are you waiting for?”


“Someone.”


He nodded.


A few minutes passed.


Daniel went back to work.


Margaret remained seated.


At 9:46, the doors opened.


A man in his early sixties entered.


Gray suit.


No tie.


Raincoat over one arm.


He looked around immediately.


When he saw Margaret, his face changed.


Relief.


He walked quickly toward her.


“Mrs. Wilson.”


Daniel heard it.


Richard did too.


Margaret stood.


The man looked at her clothes.


His face tightened.


“Are you all right?”


“I’m fine, Thomas.”


“What happened?”


“Nothing happened.”


Thomas looked at the pharmacy bag.


Then the torn coat.


Then Daniel.


Margaret said:


“That’s him.”


Thomas turned.


Daniel froze.


Margaret approached the register.


“Daniel.”


He came closer.


“This is Thomas Hale.”


Thomas extended a hand.


Daniel shook it.


“Nice to meet you.”


Thomas looked at Daniel with an expression that made the teenager uncomfortable.


Not judgment.


Recognition without familiarity.


As though he had heard about Daniel before meeting him.


“You too.”


Richard walked over.


“Can I help you?”


Thomas looked at his manager badge.


“Possibly.”


Margaret interrupted.


“Not here.”


Thomas understood.


Margaret turned to Daniel.


“Do you work tomorrow?”


“After school.”


“What time?”


“Four.”


She nodded.


“I’ll come back.”


Daniel frowned.


“You don’t owe me anything.”


“I know.”


She smiled.


“That’s why I’m coming back.”


Then she and Thomas left.


Through the glass doors, Daniel watched them reach a dark sedan parked near the entrance.


Thomas opened the passenger door for her.


Margaret climbed in.


Daniel stared.


Richard stood beside him.


“That’s strange.”


Daniel nodded.


“Very.”


Richard looked toward him.


“You know her?”


“No.”


“Have you seen her before?”


“No.”


Daniel looked down at the empty spot where she had been sitting.


“She said she found me.”


Richard frowned.


“What does that mean?”


Daniel shook his head.


“I have no idea.”


Neither did Margaret’s driver.


Because Thomas Hale was not her driver.


He was an attorney.


And one hour later, he sat across from Margaret inside a quiet conference room in a private office building outside Detroit.


Margaret was still wearing the torn coat.


Thomas poured her tea.


“You stayed in character longer than necessary.”


Margaret gave him a look.


“It wasn’t a character.”


Thomas sighed.


“Margaret.”


“The coat is mine.”


“It belongs in a trash bag.”


“It belonged to Robert.”


Thomas stopped.


He looked at the faded coat differently.


Margaret touched the sleeve.


“My husband wore this fixing the roof.”


Thomas sat.


“And the shoes?”


“One was mine.”


“And the other?”


“Thrift store.”


Thomas shook his head.


“You are impossible.”


Margaret smiled.


“Is Daniel the one?”


Thomas became serious.


“I don’t know.”


“You’ve been watching him for six weeks.”


“We’ve reviewed his school records, employment records, references—”


Margaret raised an eyebrow.


“That sounds illegal.”


“It isn’t.”


“Disappointing.”


Thomas continued.


“He works hard.”


“I saw.”


“His attendance is strong.”


“I know.”


“His manager says he’s dependable.”


“I met the manager.”


Thomas looked at her.


“How did that go?”


Margaret described what happened.


Thomas became angry.


“He told Daniel he couldn’t pay?”


“He corrected him.”


“Same thing.”


“No.”


Margaret’s voice sharpened.


“Don’t become lazy with facts because you’re angry.”


Thomas leaned back.


Margaret continued:


“The manager could have handled it better. But he didn’t fire him.”


“That’s something.”


“Yes.”


Thomas looked at her.


“And Daniel?”


Margaret smiled faintly.


“He gave me almost everything in his wallet.”


Thomas shook his head.


“That doesn’t automatically make him responsible.”


“No.”


“It might make him impulsive.”


“Yes.”


“Naive.”


“Possibly.”


“Easy to manipulate.”


“Maybe.”


Thomas leaned forward.


“Then why are you smiling?”


Margaret looked at the rain on the window.


“Because he knew all of that.”


Thomas frowned.


“He told me I could be lying.”


“And still paid?”


“Yes.”


“Why?”


Margaret repeated Daniel’s words.


“If I’m lying, he loses thirty-four dollars. If I’m telling the truth and he doesn’t help, I leave without medicine.”


Thomas became quiet.


Margaret looked at him.


“My husband would have liked him.”


That changed everything.


Thomas lowered his eyes.


Robert Wilson had been dead for fourteen months.


Very few people knew his full story.


Publicly, Robert had been a pharmacist.


That was true.


He and Margaret had opened a small independent drugstore in 1974.


One store became three.


Three became twelve.


In the early 1990s, they sold most of the stores to a regional chain.


Robert invested the money.


Carefully.


Very carefully.


Over thirty years, the investments became substantial.


But neither Robert nor Margaret lived extravagantly.


They stayed in the same house.


Robert drove old cars until repairing them became absurd.


Margaret volunteered at food banks and church shelters.


They had one daughter, Rebecca.


She became a physician.


Then died at forty-two in a car accident.


Their only grandson, Andrew, died six years later from an overdose.


Loss changed Robert.


He became increasingly concerned with one question:


What did money

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”

GIRLS HELP GIRLS DIVORCE OR DIE FULL MOVIE