‎My MIL Ordered Me a Dress Four Sizes Too Small for Her Party, Saying, 'It's Time for You to Lose Weight' – Karma Didn't Take Long to Catch up with Her

 



‎My MIL Ordered Me a Dress Four Sizes Too Small for Her Party, Saying, 'It's Time for You to Lose Weight' – Karma Didn't Take Long to Catch up with Her

‎My MIL ordered me a dress four sizes too small for her anniversary party, then laughed when I said it wouldn't fit. I bought my own dress instead. But at the party, I overheard two women talking about the dresses Clara had chosen for them, and suddenly realized mine wasn't the only one with secrets.




‎The dress was beautiful.

‎That was the worst part.

‎My MIL ordered me a dress four sizes too small for her anniversary party.

‎Blue satin, narrow waist, delicate sleeves, the kind of thing I might have chosen for myself before pregnancy changed what fit comfortably.

‎My daughter was three months old.

‎So when Clara called while I was at a department store and said she'd already ordered mine for her 40th anniversary dinner, I agreed to wait.

‎She'd already ordered mine for her 40th anniversary dinner.

‎Then I checked the tag.

‎The number was so far from my current size that I assumed the boutique had made some ridiculous mistake.

‎I stepped into the dress anyway.

‎It stopped before I could get it over my hips.

‎The number was so far from my current size.

‎I stared at myself in the mirror, one arm still caught awkwardly in the fabric.

‎My baby started fussing from the bassinet.

‎"Yeah," I muttered. "I know."

‎I peeled the dress off, folded it back into the box, and called Clara.

‎I stared at myself in the mirror, one arm still caught awkwardly in the fabric.

‎She answered on the second ring.

‎"Did it arrive?"

‎"Yes. I think they sent the wrong size."

‎There was a pause.

‎Then Clara laughed.

‎"No, honey. That's yours."

‎I sat on the edge of the bed.

‎"Clara, I can't even get it on."

‎"No, honey. That's yours."

‎"I know. The party is two weeks away," she said. "Plenty of time."

‎"For what?"

‎Another little laugh.

‎"It's time for you to lose weight."

‎I looked toward the bassinet.

‎My daughter had one fist beside her cheek and the deeply offended expression she wore whenever the world failed to feed her quickly enough.

‎"It's time for you to lose weight."

‎"Clara, I had a baby three months ago."

‎"And?"

‎"And I'm not losing four dress sizes in two weeks."

‎"Then perhaps you'll finally have some motivation."

‎I didn't answer.

‎Clara kept going.

‎"My son has always taken care of himself. The least you could do is make an effort too."

‎"Then perhaps you'll finally have some motivation."

‎"An effort?"

‎"Don't turn this into drama. Eat less. Walk more. You've had months."

‎"Months?"

‎"Jennifer, when was the last time you looked at yourself properly?"

‎I hung up.

‎***

‎Simon came home an hour later.

‎I was feeding the baby on the couch when he saw the dress box.

‎"Don't turn this into drama. Eat less. Walk more. You've had months."

‎"That the famous anniversary dress?"

‎I looked at him.

‎"Your mother ordered it four sizes too small."

‎Simon stopped halfway through taking off his jacket.

‎"By accident?"

‎"No."

‎His face crumpled.

‎I told him the rest.

‎The laughter.

‎The two-week deadline.

‎The suggestion that his wife needed to become more attractive for him.

‎"Your mother ordered it four sizes too small."

‎Simon sat beside me and rubbed one hand over his face.

‎"Jen..."

‎"Don't."

‎He looked at me.

‎"Please don't say she's just being your mother," I blurted.

‎His hand dropped.

‎For years, that had been his answer.

‎Clara criticized my cooking?

‎"That's just Mom."

‎"Please don't say she's just being your mother."

‎She asked whether Simon really liked the way I decorated our house?

‎"Ignore her."

‎He always supported me… privately.

‎That distinction had never bothered me as much as it did now.

‎"I'm not going to wear it," I said.

‎"Of course you're not."

‎"I'll buy something else."

‎He always supported me… privately.

‎"We'll buy something else," Simon corrected.

‎I looked down at our sleeping daughter.

‎Simon followed my eyes.

‎Then he sort of mumbled, "I should've shut this down a long time ago."

‎I didn't answer.

‎***

‎Two days later, Simon came shopping with me.

‎"I should've shut this down a long time ago."

‎I chose a nice dress with soft fabric and a waist that sat where my waist actually existed now.

‎I could sit in it.

‎Breathe in it.

‎Raise my arms without threatening the structural integrity of the garment.

‎When I stepped out of the fitting room, Simon smiled.

‎"That one!"

‎I chose a nice dress with soft fabric and a waist that sat where my waist actually existed now.

‎"You haven't seen the others," I said.

‎"Don't care."

‎I turned sideways toward the mirror.

‎Simon appeared behind me in the reflection.

‎"You comfortable?"

‎"Yeah."

‎"Then we're done."

‎I bought it.

‎What I didn't know was that Simon made a phone call later that afternoon.

‎"You haven't seen the others."

‎***

‎The anniversary dinner was being held at an expensive restaurant outside the city, the kind of place with linen napkins folded like sculptures and a private room larger than our first apartment.

‎Clara loved events like that.

‎She loved rules too.

‎The anniversary dinner was being held at an expensive restaurant outside the city.

‎Women in blue or black.

‎Men in tuxedos.

‎No casual jackets.

‎No patterned ties.

‎Professional photographer at 7:30.

‎Family portrait before dessert.

‎Clara had emailed everyone a three-page schedule.

‎When Simon and I walked inside, Dave spotted us first.

‎"There they are!"

‎Clara had emailed everyone a three-page schedule.

‎My father-in-law crossed the room and hugged Simon, then me.

‎"You look lovely, Jennifer."

‎"Thank you."

‎Then Clara turned around.

‎Her eyes went directly to my dress.

‎"That's NOT what I ordered."

‎"No," I acknowledged.

‎Clara gave me a slow once-over.

‎"I can see that."

‎"That's NOT what I ordered."

‎Simon moved closer beside me.

‎I kept my voice pleasant.

‎"The other one didn't fit… so I…"

‎"It would have if you'd listened," she shot back.

‎Dave looked between us.

‎"Clara..."

‎"What? I'm not going to lie to her."

‎Then she pinched the fabric at her own waist.

‎"The other one didn't fit… so I…"

‎"This one doesn't do you any favors either. It looks CHEAP."

‎Simon cut in, "Mom, enough."

‎The room seemed to shrink around those two words.

‎Clara blinked at him.

‎"I'm helping your wife."

‎"No. You're insulting my wife."

‎Her cheeks colored.

‎"I only want what's best for you, Simmy."

‎"This one doesn't do you any favors either. It looks CHEAP."

‎Then she looked directly at me.

‎"My son deserves a more attractive woman."

‎I looked at Simon, but suddenly I did not want to hear anyone defend me.

‎I did not want to become the woman standing in the middle of someone else's anniversary party while everybody debated whether my body was acceptable.

‎"My son deserves a more attractive woman."

‎"I need the restroom."

‎Simon reached for my arm.

‎"Jen..."

‎"I'm fine."

‎I wasn't, but I wanted five quiet minutes more than I wanted another conversation.

‎***

‎Inside the restroom, I locked myself into a stall and sat on the closed toilet.

‎I was angry.

‎I wanted five quiet minutes more than I wanted another conversation.

‎At Clara.

‎At myself for still being affected by her.

‎At Simon, a little, because years of "ignore her" had apparently taught his mother she could say anything and still have a seat at our table afterward.

‎After a minute, I heard the restroom door open.

‎Two women were talking near the sinks.

‎Years of "ignore her" had apparently taught his mother she could say anything and still have a seat at our table.

‎"Did yours fit?"

‎"Eventually."

‎"What does that mean?"

‎"Clara told the boutique to alter the sleeves."

‎I stopped moving.

‎The other woman laughed uneasily.

‎"Mine too. She said my arms photographed badly."

‎"You're joking."

‎"I wish."

‎Their voices faded when they left.

‎"Clara told the boutique to alter the sleeves."

‎I stared at the stall door.

‎My dress wasn't the only one.

‎Clara had not bought me an unfortunate gift.

‎She had been arranging women.

‎Then Clara screamed from somewhere beyond the restroom.

‎"Those are mine!"

‎I rushed into the hallway.

‎Clara screamed from somewhere beyond the restroom.

‎The private dining room had erupted into an argument.

‎A server hurried past me toward the entrance.

‎Three garment bags were hanging from a rolling rack beside a woman I didn't recognize.

‎She wore a sleek black suit and had a boutique name badge clipped near her shoulder.

‎Three garment bags were hanging from a rolling rack beside a woman I didn't recognize.

‎Clara had arranged for several women's dresses to be delivered directly to the restaurant for final fittings before the photographs.

‎Simon stood beside her.

‎Dave was a few feet away, looking deeply uncomfortable.

‎Clara had one hand gripping the handle of a garment bag.

‎"Ma'am," the woman said calmly, "please let go."

‎Clara had arranged for several women's dresses to be delivered directly to the restaurant for final fittings.

‎"I paid for those dresses!"

‎"You paid reservation deposits."

‎"Don't play games with me."

‎"Clara," Dave said, "let the woman do her job."

‎Clara spun toward him.

‎"This is our property!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”

GIRLS HELP GIRLS DIVORCE OR DIE FULL MOVIE