‎My Husband Became an Organ Donor – His Doctor Stopped Me in the Hospital Hallway and Said, 'There's Something He Made Me Promise Not to Give You Until Now'

 



‎My Husband Became an Organ Donor – His Doctor Stopped Me in the Hospital Hallway and Said, 'There's Something He Made Me Promise Not to Give You Until Now'

‎I thought honoring my husband's final wish would be the hardest thing I ever had to do. Then I learned he'd prepared for something I never saw coming, and the secret he left behind forced me to question grief, loyalty, and how much of his memory I was willing to protect.



‎"Sally, wait!"

‎I kept walking.

‎If I stopped, somebody would say Mark's name again. Somebody would touch my arm and give me that careful look people used when they didn't know what to say to a woman eight months pregnant whose husband had just died.

‎"Sally, please."

‎"Sally, wait!"

‎I turned.

‎Dr. Rivers was hurrying toward me with a plain envelope in his hand.

‎"Mark gave me this three weeks ago."

‎I stared at it.

‎"What is it?"

‎"There's something he made me promise not to give you until now."

‎"Mark gave me this three weeks ago."

‎My stomach tightened.

‎"Why?"

‎Dr. Rivers looked tired.

‎"He said you'd understand when you needed it."

‎It was infuriatingly vague, which was very Mark.

‎I took the envelope.

‎"Why?"

‎My name was written across the front in his messy handwriting.

‎"Sally."

‎That was all.

‎Dr. Rivers hesitated.

‎"He also said you didn't have to open it today."

‎I almost laughed.

‎My name was written across the front.

‎"That's generous of him."

‎He gave me a sad smile.

‎Then I walked away carrying the last secret my husband had kept from me.

‎***

‎Two months earlier, secrets hadn't been part of our marriage.

‎Baby names were.

‎"That's generous of him."

‎"Absolutely not," I'd told Mark.

‎"You rejected it too fast."

‎"You suggested Clementine."

‎We were sitting on our porch, his hand resting on my six-month belly.

‎"It's a strong name."

‎"You rejected it too fast."

‎"For an orange."

‎Mark laughed.

‎Even then, the sound caught slightly in his chest.

‎"Fine. Cecelia."

‎I looked at him.

‎Even then, the sound caught slightly in his chest.

‎"Cecelia?"

‎"My grandmother used to sing that song with the name in it."

‎"You said she sang everything badly."

‎"Still counts."

‎"That's not a reason to name a human being."

‎"It made you smile."

‎"You said she sang everything badly."

‎"Cecelia," I said quietly.

‎The baby kicked beneath his hand.

‎Mark's eyebrows lifted.

‎"See? She voted."

‎"She kicked you."

‎"Strong approval."

‎The baby kicked beneath his hand.

‎I covered his hand with mine.

‎"Cecelia."

‎This time, it sounded like our daughter's name.

‎We'd wanted her for years.

‎Then, six months into my pregnancy, Mark got sick.

‎We'd wanted her for years.

‎The doctors gave him no more than three months. He probably wouldn't live long enough to meet her.

‎***

‎One evening, we sat on the porch again while Cecelia kicked hard enough to make my shirt move.

‎Mark watched the spot for a few seconds, then rested his hand over it.

‎"If they can use anything when the time comes, I want to donate."

‎I turned toward him.

‎The doctors gave him no more than three months.

‎"Please don't talk about dying while she's kicking."

‎"That's exactly why I have to, sweetheart."

‎"Mark."

‎His thumb moved slowly across my stomach.

‎"If I can't watch her grow up, maybe somebody else gets more time with their family."

‎"Don't make dying sound noble. I'm already angry enough."

‎"That's exactly why I have to, sweetheart."

‎His eyes lifted to mine.

‎"I'm scared too, Sal."

‎"I don't know how to do this without you, Mark."

‎"You don't have to know yet."

‎"What if I never know?"

‎He was quiet for a moment.

‎"I'm scared too, Sal."

‎"Then you'll make it up as you go."

‎I looked away.

‎"That's a terrible plan."

‎"It's the only honest one I've got."

‎I hated that answer.

‎"Then you'll make it up as you go."

‎***

‎By my eighth month, Mark had gotten weaker much faster than we'd expected.

‎One morning, I found him standing in front of the bedroom mirror, fighting with the buttons on his shirt.

‎"Give me that."

‎"I've got it, Sally."

‎"You've put the third button into the fourth hole."

‎He looked down.

‎"Give me that."

‎"Fashion."

‎"You look like a confused accordion."

‎That pulled a tired laugh out of him.

‎I stepped closer and fixed the buttons.

‎His hands had started shaking more often.

‎"Don't look at me like that," he said.

‎"You look like a confused accordion."

‎"Like what?"

‎"Like you're memorizing me."

‎I stopped.

‎"I wasn't."

‎"You were."

‎I finished the last button and smoothed his collar.

‎"Like you're memorizing me."

‎"I want to remember everything so I can tell our daughter who you really were."

‎His expression changed, but before either of us could say more, he caught my wrist.

‎"My mom asked about the donation again."

‎Violet had always been warm with me.

‎When morning sickness flattened me, she showed up with groceries and tiny yellow socks because, according to her, "That baby is going to drown in pink."

‎"My mom asked about the donation again."

‎"I'll talk to her," I said to my husband.

‎"No."

‎"Why?"

‎"Because she'll listen to you."

‎I frowned.

‎"That's usually a good thing."

‎"Not this time."

‎"Because she'll listen to you."

‎"What happened?"

‎Mark sat on the edge of the bed.

‎"She thinks I shouldn't donate."

‎"She told you that?"

‎"More than once."

‎"Did she say why?"

‎"She thinks I shouldn't donate."

‎He looked down at his hands.

‎"She can't handle the idea that something of mine might belong to somebody else."

‎I sat beside him.

‎"She's losing her son, Mark. I can't exactly be mad at her words..."

‎"I know."

‎"Then maybe she needs time."

‎"She's losing her son, Mark."

‎"She needs something to be angry at."

‎His eyes met mine.

‎"And I don't want that something to be you."

‎I squeezed his hand.

‎"You're asking me to stay out of it."

‎"She needs something to be angry at."

‎"I'm asking you not to make her grief your job."

‎***

‎A few weeks later, Mark began asking to speak to Dr. Rivers alone.

‎The first time, I teased him about it.

‎The second time, I stayed by the door.

‎"What are you arranging?"

‎I teased him about it.

‎Mark leaned back against the pillows.

‎"Something I need to handle."

‎"Without me?"

‎"Yes. But it's for you."

‎I stared at him.

‎"That's somehow worse."

‎"Something I need to handle."

‎A faint smile touched his mouth.

‎"Please trust me."

‎"I do trust you."

‎"Then let me do this one thing myself."

‎I nodded.

‎When Dr. Rivers closed the door, I stayed in the hallway longer than I meant to.

‎"Please trust me."

‎I hated not knowing.

‎Still, I let him keep the secret.

‎***

‎Mark died on a rainy Tuesday with my hand wrapped around his.

‎Afterward, the donation team explained what depended on medical suitability. I answered questions and signed what needed signing.

‎Still, I let him keep the secret.

‎Whenever someone asked about Mark's wishes, I gave the same answer.

‎"Yes. This is what he wanted."

‎Then Dr. Rivers stopped me in the hallway.

‎***

‎At home that night, I opened the envelope.

‎Inside was a flash drive and a folded note.

‎"Yes. This is what he wanted."

‎"Please don't watch this because you miss me.

‎Watch it if somebody makes you doubt me, Sally.

‎And more importantly, if someone makes you doubt yourself."

‎I read it twice.

‎"You're dead," I told the note. "You don't get to give instructions anymore."

‎Cecelia kicked hard under my ribs.

‎"Watch it if somebody makes you doubt me, Sally."

‎I looked down.

‎"Your father is annoying me from beyond the grave. He deserved that kick."

‎I put the flash drive away.

‎***

‎Two days later, Violet came over.

‎I found her in Cecelia's nursery refolding a pink blanket.

‎"He deserved that kick."

‎"Violet."

‎"Did they take everything?"

‎I stopped in the doorway.

‎"What?"

‎"From Mark."

‎"They'll only use what can be donated."

‎"Did they take everything?"

‎She gripped the blanket.

‎"And you're fine with that?"

‎"He wanted it."

‎"I asked about you."

‎"I'm not fine."

‎"You're acting fine."

‎"What would you prefer?"

‎"I asked about you."

‎She looked at me.

‎"His heart. His skin. His eyes. All of those things are going to strangers."

‎"They don't transplant someone's whole eyes."

‎"You know what I mean."

‎"Corneal tissue can be donated."

‎She laughed bitterly.

‎"All of those things are going to strangers."

‎"Does the nicer phrase make it easier?"

‎"No."

‎Her mouth trembled.

‎"How am I supposed to be okay knowing something that belonged to my son is walking around with strangers?"

‎"Because Mark was okay with it."

‎"You agreed with this."

‎"Does the nicer phrase make it easier?"

‎"Yes. That doesn't mean it was easy, Violet."

‎She looked at my stomach.

‎"You still get part of him."

‎My hand moved over Cecelia without thinking.

‎"Don't."

‎"What?"

‎"Don't put her in this."

‎"You still get part of him."

‎Violet walked out without answering.

‎***

‎At Mark's memorial, she went further.

‎An uncle hugged me near the flowers.

‎"Mark was helping people right until the end."

‎His aunt nodded.

‎Violet walked out.

‎"You must be proud."

‎"Proud?"

‎Violet had appeared behind us.

‎I turned.

‎"Violet."

‎"She doesn't get to be proud of this."

‎"You must be proud."

‎Everyone went quiet.

‎"Mark could barely walk across a room," she continued. "But somehow we're supposed to believe he calmly chose all of this?"

‎"He did."

‎"You agreed to it."

‎"Yes, Violet. I gave my husband his dying wish."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”