I Found Someone’s Daughters Hiding Inside My Empty Trash Can – Then One Whispered, “Please Don’t Send Us Back”

 I Found Someone’s Daughters Hiding Inside My Empty Trash Can – Then One Whispered, “Please Don’t Send Us Back”


My new neighbors had only lived next door for a week when I found their twin toddlers hiding inside my empty trash can.



I didn’t even know they had daughters.


The house next door had been empty for almost three months before the sale finally went through. I knew the new owners would be moving in sometime that month, but they never came over to introduce themselves or even say hello.


Normally, I would have knocked on their door with a pie or a loaf of banana bread. That was the kind of neighborhood we had.


People waved from their porches, collected packages for one another, and knew which dog belonged to which house.


But something about the couple next door made me hesitate.


I had only seen a man and woman standing in the driveway once, so I assumed they were just a couple.


The man was tall and broad-shouldered, with a habit of scanning the street as if he expected someone to be watching him.


The woman, who looked a little younger than I was, kept her arms folded tightly across her chest.


Neither of them looked my way.


After that, I mostly noticed signs that someone was living there without actually seeing anyone.


The curtains closed before sunset.


A car left early in the morning and returned after dark.


The back porch light glowed at odd hours.


I had no idea children lived there.


That was why I was so confused the following Tuesday when I went outside to bring my empty trash can back from the curb and realized it felt unusually heavy.


Trash pickup had come before breakfast, and by late morning, the can should have been empty.


I grabbed the handle and tilted it toward me.


It barely moved.


At first, I thought something had been left inside.


Then I heard movement.


It was a soft rustling sound, followed by what sounded like a muffled sniff.


My hand tightened around the handle.


“Hello?” I called.


No one answered.


I slowly lifted the lid and froze.


Two terrified little girls were crouched inside, staring up at me with wide, frightened eyes.


They looked like twins, and they couldn’t have been more than three years old.


They had the same round cheeks, the same dark curls, and the same enormous brown eyes.


One wore a yellow T-shirt with a faded butterfly on the front, while the other had on a pink shirt and mismatched socks.


Their knees were dirty, and one girl’s lower lip trembled.


For a moment, I assumed they were playing hide-and-seek, so I smiled and tried to keep my voice gentle.


“What are you two doing in there?” I asked. “You can’t hide in a trash can. It’s yucky. If you’re playing hide-and-seek, let’s find you a better hiding spot.”


Neither girl smiled.


They just stared at me, looking lost and confused.


Then one of the sisters finally spoke.


“We’re not playing,” she whispered. “We’re just hiding.”


She glanced toward the house next door, then looked back at me.


“Please don’t let him know that we are here.”


A chill went through me.


I lowered the lid slightly, not enough to close it, but enough to shield them from view if someone looked out a window.


“Who are you hiding from?” I asked quietly.


The girl in yellow pressed one finger to her lips.


Her sister began to cry without making a sound.


I looked toward the neighboring house.


Every curtain was closed.


“Okay,” I murmured. “You don’t have to tell me yet. But you can’t stay in here.”


The girl in pink shook her head frantically.


“No house.”


“Not your house,” I promised. “Mine.”


That got their attention.


I opened the lid fully and held out my arms.


“Come on. I’ll help you.”


The girls exchanged a look that seemed far too serious for children their age.


Finally, the one in yellow reached for me.


She was lighter than I expected.


I lifted her out first, then her sister.


Both immediately grabbed my legs.


Their hands clutched the fabric of my jeans so tightly that I could feel their fingers shaking.


“My name is Carla,” I said. “What’s yours?”


The girl in yellow whispered, “Lily.”


Her sister answered, “Lucy.”


“Lily and Lucy,” I repeated. “All right. Let’s go inside.”


I tried not to look toward the house again as I guided them up my driveway.


Once inside, I locked the front door.


The click of the deadbolt made both girls flinch.


That frightened me more than anything they had said.


I brought them into the kitchen, gave them water, and put a plate of crackers and sliced strawberries on the table.


They stared at the food but did not touch it until I sat down several feet away.


“You can eat,” I assured them.


Lucy grabbed a strawberry.


Lily copied her.


Within seconds, they were eating so quickly that I wondered when they had last had a proper meal.


“Where’s your mommy?” I asked.


Both girls stopped chewing.


Lily looked at Lucy.


“Is your mommy next door?”


No answer.


“Your daddy?”


Lucy shook her head.


That was when I realized I had no idea who the man and woman next door actually were.


I reached for my phone.


Lily immediately slid off her chair.


“No!”


I stopped.


“It’s okay.”


“No police,” she said, panic rising in her voice.


“Why not?”


“He said police take bad girls away.”


My stomach tightened.


“Who said that?”


Lily’s eyes filled with tears.


“Him.”


Before I could ask another question, a heavy thud came from next door.


Both girls ducked beneath the table.


A second later, a man’s voice carried faintly through an open window.


“Lily! Lucy!”


The girls began trembling.


I shut the window and pulled the curtain closed.


“Stay here,” I whispered.


I walked to the front room and peeked through the narrow gap beside my blinds.


The man I had seen in the driveway stood on his porch.


He looked different now, and his expression was angry.


He came down the steps quickly, turned his head from side to side, and started checking the yard.


Then he walked toward the curb and my trash can.


I backed away from the window.


A minute later, someone pounded on my front door three times.


Lily whimpered from the kitchen.


I forced myself to breathe and opened the door only a few inches, keeping the chain latched.


The man stared at me.


“Morning,” he said.


“Morning.”


He looked past me.


“Have you seen two little girls?”


My heart pounded.


“Little girls?”


“Twins. Three years old.”


So, he knew exactly who they were.


“No,” I said. “I haven’t.”


His jaw tightened.


“They wandered out of the house.”


“That’s scary.”


“It is.”


He didn’t move.


Neither did I.


Then he smiled, but the expression never reached his eyes.


“If you see them, let me know first. Don’t call anyone else. They have… behavioral problems.”


I kept my face neutral.


“Of course.”


He gave me a long look before turning away.


I shut the door and locked it again.


When I returned to the kitchen, Lily and Lucy were still under the table.


“You did good,” Lily whispered.


I crouched beside them.


“Sweetheart, I need you to tell me who that man is.”


Lucy pressed her face against her sister’s shoulder.


“Grant.”


“Grant who?”


She only shook her head.


“Is Grant your dad?”


“No.”


“Your uncle?”


“No.”


“Does your mommy know you’re here?”


At that, Lily’s face crumpled.


“Mommy can’t come.”


I felt cold all over.


“Why can’t she come?”


The twins looked at each other.


Then Lucy whispered the most chilling statement I’ve ever heard.


“Because Grant locked her downstairs.”


For several seconds, I could only stare at Lucy.


“Grant locked your mommy downstairs?” I repeated.


Lily nodded.


“She told us to be quiet.”


Every instinct in me said to call the police immediately, but I remembered Lily’s panic when I had touched my phone.


I reached beneath the table and held out my hand.


“Listen to me. Police do not take good girls away for asking for help. Grant lied to you.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”