‎I Broke My Arm and Asked My Husband to Help with Our 5-Month-Old Twins, but He Said, 'Moms Don't Get Sick Days' – So I Taught Him a Lesson He'd Never Forget

 



‎I Broke My Arm and Asked My Husband to Help with Our 5-Month-Old Twins, but He Said, 'Moms Don't Get Sick Days' – So I Taught Him a Lesson He'd Never Forget

‎When I broke my arm, I thought the hardest part would be caring for my five-month-old twins while I healed. I was wrong. The real pain came from realizing how little my husband understood about what I carried every day, and how far I'd have to go to make him see it.




‎"Hope?"

‎I didn't answer right away.

‎Derek stood in the doorway of my mom's living room, staring at Luke in her arms, Miles in mine, and the diaper bag I'd packed for more than one night.

‎His face changed.

‎"Hope?"

‎"Why are the boys staying here?"

‎I looked at him.

‎"Because my arm is broken, Derek."

‎"I know that."

‎"Apparently you don't. You don't even understand that I need help."

‎"Why are the boys staying here?"

‎His eyes moved to the folded sheet of paper on the coffee table. It was the schedule he'd refused to follow the night before.

‎Then he looked back at me.

‎"You took my kids and left?"

‎"Our kids."

‎"Bring them home."

‎"No."

‎"You took my kids and left?"

‎His jaw tightened.

‎"Hope."

‎"No."

‎For five months, I'd spent every day figuring things out before Derek had to notice there was a problem.

‎Then I broke my arm.

‎And for the first time, I couldn't keep doing his half too.

‎Then I broke my arm.

‎***

‎Two days before I went to Mom's, I was sitting on the nursery floor trying to snap Luke's sleeper with my left hand.

‎My right arm was trapped in a cast.

‎Miles had started fussing behind me, and my tea sat untouched on the changing table.

‎Derek walked in, stepped around a basket of clean laundry, and loosened his tie.


‎"What's for dinner, Hope?"

‎I stopped fighting with the sleeper.

‎"My arm is broken."

‎He glanced at the cast.

‎"I know."

‎I waited.

‎"What's for dinner, Hope?"

‎"So?"

‎"So what?"

‎I stared at him.

‎"I was hoping you'd remember what kitchens are for. Or at least know how takeout works."

‎He didn't smile.

‎"I worked ten hours today."

‎"So what?"

‎"And I fell down the stairs yesterday."

‎The doctor put my fractured arm in a cast and told me not to lift Luke or Miles with it while it healed.

‎I looked toward Miles.

‎"Can you get him?"

‎Derek checked his phone.

‎"I haven't even changed yet."

‎"And I fell down the stairs yesterday."

‎"He doesn't care what you're wearing."

‎"Hope."

‎"What?"

‎"I just got home."

‎"So did you stop being their father in the driveway?"

‎His mouth tightened.

‎"I just got home."

‎"I pay the bills."

‎"And?"

‎"And I'm not coming home to start another shift."

‎That word sat between us.

‎Another.

‎Like fatherhood was overtime.

‎"I pay the bills."

‎"I need help for a few weeks," I said. "Come home an hour earlier when you can. Take a day if you have one. Ask if you can work from home sometimes."

‎"I have a job."

‎"So did I before maternity leave."

‎"Exactly. You're home now."

‎"With two babies."

‎"So did I before maternity leave."

‎"You're better at this anyway."

‎"I'm doing it more. That's why I'm better."

‎Miles started crying.

‎Derek sighed like the sound offended him.

‎"Can't you just handle him?"

‎"With one arm?"

‎"You have another one."

‎"You're better at this anyway."

‎I went quiet.

‎Then he shrugged.

‎"You're the one who wanted kids."

‎My head came up.

‎"We wanted them. You were the one showing me nursery ideas before I was even pregnant."

‎"You know what I mean."

‎"You're the one who wanted kids."

‎"No, I don't, Derek. I don't even know who you are right now."

‎He rubbed his forehead.

‎"I'm exhausted, Hope. Moms don't get sick days."

‎I looked down at my cast.

‎"I'm injured."

‎"That's not my problem."

‎"I don't even know who you are right now."

‎I stared at him.

‎"I'm asking you to help me a little."

‎"You take care of them. That's your job."

‎He walked out.

‎Miles kept crying.

‎Luke grabbed the edge of my cast with both hands.

‎"You take care of them. That's your job."

‎I gently freed myself and whispered, "Okay. I've got you."

‎I've got it. I'm fine.

‎I'd been saying both for too long.

‎***

‎My mom, Noelle, came over the next afternoon.

‎She found me wiping formula off the counter with my good hand while Luke kicked in his seat.

‎"Okay. I've got you."

‎"Hope."

‎"I'm almost done."

‎She took the cloth from me.

‎"Sit."

‎"Mom, it's sticky."

‎"It'll still be sticky in five minutes."

‎"I'm almost done."

‎I sat.

‎She found my tea in the microwave.

‎"You reheated this already?"

‎"Twice."

‎Mom knew I cleaned when I was overwhelmed.

‎She made me a fresh cup.

‎"You reheated this already?"

‎"Where's Derek?"

‎"Work."

‎"And when he gets home?"

‎"He'll be tired, of course."

‎Mom gave me a look.

‎I took a sip.

‎"I'm fine."

‎"He'll be tired, of course."

‎"There's that voice you use when you're lying to me, Hope."

‎I looked away.

‎Mom didn't lecture me. She just helped with the boys, washed bottles, made dinner, and left after we'd eaten.

‎***

‎That night, Miles woke first.

‎Then Luke followed with his loud cries.

‎I nudged Derek.

‎"There's that voice you use when you're lying to me, Hope."

‎"Can you take Luke?"

‎He rolled onto his stomach.

‎"I have work."

‎"So?"

‎"I have to be up in four hours."

‎Luke's crying grew louder.

‎"I have to be up in four hours."

‎"So do I."

‎"No, you don't."

‎I froze.

‎"What does that mean?"

‎"You can sleep when they sleep."

‎I almost laughed.

‎Instead, I got up.

‎"What does that mean?"

‎Luke was still crying when Derek pulled the blanket over his shoulder.

‎***

‎Three nights later, Mom called.

‎"My car won't start. I can't make it over."

‎I looked at the twins. Both badly needed a bath.

‎"It's okay, Mom."

‎"Don't try bathing them alone."

‎"My car won't start. I can't make it over."

‎"I won't."

‎"Promise?"

‎"I'll wait for Derek to get home. Promise."

‎When he came home, I met him near the kitchen.

‎"I need you to bathe the boys tonight."

‎He dropped his keys into the bowl.

‎"I need you to bathe the boys tonight."

‎"I just walked in, Hope. Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous right now?"

‎"I know."

‎"Skip it."

‎"They need one."

‎"Use a washcloth and warm water. That's what tired mothers do."

‎"Don't you think you're being a bit ridiculous right now?"

‎"Derek."

‎He sighed.

‎"I've been working all day."

‎"So have I."

‎He looked at me like I'd said something ridiculous.

‎"Why should I have to come home and take care of the kids too?"

‎"I've been working all day."

‎I stopped.

‎"Too?"

‎"What?"

‎"You said 'too.'"

‎"So?"

‎"You think this is what I do after my day?"

‎"You stay home."

‎I stopped.

‎"With Luke and Miles."

‎"You stay home and do nothing all day."

‎For once, I didn't defend myself.

‎I just said, "Okay."

‎Derek frowned.

‎"Okay what?"

‎"Nothing."

‎I didn't defend myself.

‎He stared at me.

‎"Don't do that calm thing."

‎"What calm thing?"

‎"The thing where you stop talking."

‎He knew I hated conflict and usually kept talking until everybody felt better.

‎Mostly him.

‎"Don't do that calm thing."

‎***

‎That night, after the boys finally fell asleep, I sat at the kitchen table with my aching arm resting on a folded towel.

‎Earlier, Luke had reached for me, and I'd had to ask Derek to lift his own child.

‎I opened my notebook.

‎Baths.
‎Evening bottles.
‎Carrying the boys upstairs.
‎One nighttime waking.
‎Luke had reached for me.

‎I stared at the list.

‎These weren't favors. I physically couldn't do them safely.

‎***

‎The next evening, I slid the page across the table.

‎Derek glanced down. "What's this?"

‎"What needs to change while my arm heals."

‎He read the first few lines.

‎I physically couldn't do them safely.

‎"You made me a schedule?"

‎"I made us a plan."

‎He pushed the paper away. "I'm not doing shifts in my own house."

‎I looked at him. "Then tell me what you will do."

‎His expression tightened.

‎"Hope, I work all day."

‎"You made me a schedule?"

‎"I know. I'm asking what happens when you come home."

‎He didn't answer.

‎I tapped the paper.

‎"I can't carry both boys. I can't do baths alone. Last night, I tried to settle Luke by myself because you wouldn't get up."

‎That got his attention.

‎"I'm asking what happens when you come home."

‎"You shouldn't have done that."

‎"I shouldn't have needed to, Derek. But you gave me no choice."

‎Derek looked away.

‎"Will you take these things over until I'm cleared?"

‎"No."

‎I'd spent days calling his refusal a misunderstanding.

‎"But you gave me no choice."

‎That word stopped me.

‎"All right."

‎He frowned. "What does that mean?"

‎"It means I heard you."

‎I folded the page and stood.

‎"What does that mean?"

‎***

‎In the nursery, Luke stirred when I reached for the diaper bag. I froze until he settled again.

‎Then I called Mom.

‎"Can the boys and I stay with you for a few days?"

‎She went quiet.

‎"Did something happen?"

‎"Nothing new. That's the problem."

‎"Can the boys and I stay with you for a few days?"

‎"Hope."

‎"I can't keep risking my arm because Derek won't pick them up. I need my arm to heal properly, Mom. My boys need me."

‎Her voice softened. "Do you want me to come get you? The car is sorted."

‎"Yes. I'll pack what we need."

‎"Do you want me to come get you?"

‎"Are you leaving him?"

‎Derek was in the living room watching television.

‎"No. I'm trying to heal."

‎That was the first time I'd said it without apologizing.

‎***

‎An hour later, Mom handled the boys while I packed the car. Derek came out of the garage as I zipped the diaper bag.

‎"No. I'm trying to heal."

‎"Where are you going?"

‎"Mom's."

‎"With Luke and Miles?"

‎"Yes."

‎His face changed.

‎"For how long?"

‎"I don't know."

‎"With Luke and Miles?"

‎"Hope, you can't just walk out."

‎"I asked you to help me stay."

‎He stared at me.

‎I didn't wait for another argument.

‎I got in the car.

‎"Hope, you can't just walk out."

‎***

‎At Mom's, Luke fell asleep against her chest while Miles kicked beside me on the couch.

‎My phone rang.

‎"Bring them home," Derek said.

‎"No."

‎"I'm their father."

‎"Then start acting like one."

‎"Bring them home."

‎He went silent.

‎Then his voice sharpened.

‎"Do you know what this makes me look like?"

‎There it was.

‎Not "Are you okay?"

‎Not "Is your arm worse?"

‎"Do you know what this makes me look like?"

‎It was about what it looked like.

‎"Tell people the truth," I said.

‎"NO! How dare you make me look like some deadbeat?"

‎"I didn't make you look like anything, Derek."

‎"What am I supposed to tell my mother?"

‎"Tell people the truth."

‎"The truth."

‎"And what's that?"

‎"Tell her I broke my arm. Tell her I asked you to help me. Tell her you said moms don't get sick days."

‎Silence.

‎Then Derek said, "You're humiliating me."

‎That was when I understood.

‎"You're humiliating me."

‎"You weren't embarrassed when you said it."

‎"What?"

‎"You weren't embarrassed when I was begging you."

‎"Hope."

‎"You're embarrassed someone might find out."

‎My hand shook when I ended the call.

‎"You weren't embarrassed when you said it."

‎Mom noticed.

‎She just reached for Miles.

‎"Give him here."

‎"I can hold him."

‎"I know."

‎That was different from "You can't."

‎So I let her.

‎"Give him here."

‎***

‎Derek arrived the next evening looking furious.

‎"My mother called me," he said as I let him in. "She wanted to see you and the boys. I had to tell her you weren't home."

‎"And?"

‎"She asked why."

‎I watched his jaw tighten.

‎"My mother called me."

‎"What did you tell her?"

‎"The truth, apparently."

‎That surprised me.

‎Derek looked toward the living room.

‎"She asked whether I'd been helping since you broke your arm."

‎"What did you tell her?"

‎"And?"

‎"I told her you're home with the boys, and I'm at work all day."

‎I waited.

‎Derek rubbed the back of his neck.

‎"Then she asked why you had to leave the house just to get someone to help you."

‎"What did you say?"

‎"I told her you're home with the boys."

‎He looked away.

‎"Nothing."

‎"Why not?"

‎His jaw tightened. "Because I knew how it sounded."

‎Before I could answer, Miles started crying. Derek looked at me automatically.

‎"Hope?"

‎"Why not?"

‎I stayed where I was.

‎"You've got him."

‎"I don't know what he wants."

‎"Neither do I yet."

‎"You usually know."

‎"I usually find out."

‎I stayed where I was.

‎He hesitated before lifting Miles.

‎The crying got louder.

‎"See?" Derek said. "I'm making it worse."

‎"You've held him for ten seconds."

‎"What do I do?"

‎The answers lined up in my head.

‎"I'm making it worse."

‎Instead, I said, "Start paying attention."

‎He began pacing too fast. Miles cried harder. Derek slowed down, and a minute later, the crying softened.

‎"He's stopping."

‎"Yeah."

‎Derek looked down at him.

‎"Start paying attention."

‎"You make this look easy."

‎"You told me I do nothing."

‎"I know."

‎"Why?"

‎He swallowed.

‎"Because every time I came home, you already knew what they needed. I didn't."

‎"You told me I do nothing."

‎"You could've learned."

‎"I know."

‎"Then why didn't you?"

‎His voice dropped.

‎"Because I felt useless. Every time you asked, it reminded me."

‎"So you wanted me to stop asking."

‎"Then why didn't you?"

‎He nodded.

‎Miles curled his fist into Derek's shirt.

‎"Being scared doesn't excuse what you said."

‎"I know."

‎I'd wanted to see Derek holding one of our sons like that.

‎Now he finally was.

‎"Being scared doesn't excuse what you said."

‎***

‎A few days later, Derek texted me a photo of our spotless kitchen.

‎"Cleaned everything. Come home?"

‎I stared at it, then typed:

‎"What time does Miles usually take his last bottle?"

‎The typing dots appeared, stopped, then appeared again.

‎No answer.

‎"Cleaned everything. Come home?"

‎That evening, Derek came to Mom's.

‎"What do you want me to do, Hope?"

‎"I want you to stop waiting for instructions."

‎"I'm trying."

‎"Then try without making me your manager."

‎Derek came to Mom's.

‎He sat across from me.

‎"I cleaned the house. I thought you'd be happy."

‎"I'd be happier if you knew why Miles cries differently from Luke."

‎Derek looked down.

‎"Then teach me."

‎"I thought you'd be happy."

‎I almost did.

‎The old version of me would've made another list before he finished the sentence.

‎Instead, I shook my head.

‎"No. Watch them. Learn them. Be here long enough to know."

‎His face tightened.

‎"Be here long enough to know."

‎"And if I mess up?"

‎"You will."

‎He looked at me.

‎"So will I."

‎That surprised him.

‎I glanced at my cast.

‎"You will."

‎"I've spent weeks feeling like I'm failing because I can't even lift my own sons."

‎"Hope..."

‎"Let me finish. When this comes off, I get another chance to feel like their mom again. You can have a second chance too."

‎Derek leaned forward.

‎"At us?"

‎"At being better than you've been."

‎"Hope..."

‎I held his gaze.

‎"But I'm not dragging you there."

‎***

‎Over the next few weeks, he started showing up before I asked.

‎He left work on time twice a week. He added the boys' appointments to his own calendar. He learned that Luke settled faster against his chest and that Miles usually needed movement before sleep.

‎I held his gaze.

‎He still got things wrong.

‎I stopped rescuing him every time.

‎***

‎Three weeks later, my arm was healing well enough that I brought some of our things home.

‎Not everything.

‎Derek noticed.

‎"You're keeping clothes at your mom's?"

‎He still got things wrong.

‎"Yes."

‎"Because you don't trust me?"

‎"Because I'm learning to trust myself. If this falls apart again, I won't wait until I'm broken to do something about it."

‎That night, Miles cried from the nursery.

‎I started to rise.

‎"Because you don't trust me?"

‎Derek was already moving.

‎"I've got him. That's his tired cry."

‎He disappeared down the hall.

‎A minute later, the crying softened.

‎I picked up my tea.

‎Still warm.

‎I picked up my tea.

‎For months, I'd thought a good mother carried everything.

‎Then I broke my arm and learned something better.

‎Good mothers don't have to prove how much they can survive.

‎And fathers shouldn't have to be asked to be fathers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”

GIRLS HELP GIRLS DIVORCE OR DIE FULL MOVIE