‎My Husband Forgot His Apple Watch on the Charger, and a Message Lit up the Screen Saying, 'Last Night Was Perfect' – That Morning, I Quietly Followed Him

 

‎My Husband Forgot His Apple Watch on the Charger, and a Message Lit up the Screen Saying, 'Last Night Was Perfect' – That Morning, I Quietly Followed Him

‎My husband had never forgotten his Apple Watch before. So when it lit up on the kitchen counter with a message that read, "Last night was perfect," I couldn't stop staring at the screen. He'd told me he'd been working late. I never told him what I'd seen, but when he left the house that morning, I quietly followed him.




‎Until that Thursday, I would've told anyone Cameron was the easiest man in the world to trust.

‎Not because he was perfect.

‎He wasn't.

‎Cameron was the easiest man in the world to trust.

‎He loaded the dishwasher like it was a competitive sport. He could never remember where we kept the batteries. He still insisted the fastest route to anywhere involved at least one unnecessary shortcut.

‎But honesty came as naturally to him as breathing.

‎If his phone rang while he was mowing the lawn, he'd shout through the open window, "Can you see who it is?"

‎When we met friends for dinner, he'd leave his phone on the table and never think twice.

‎We'd never had a conversation about passwords because we'd never needed one.

‎"Can you see who it is?"

‎***

‎A few months earlier, one of my coworkers had confessed she'd secretly gone through her husband's messages.

‎"It was eating me alive, Mindy" she'd said.

‎Another woman nodded.

‎"I think everybody checks eventually."

‎I laughed. "I don't."

‎They looked at me. "Never?"

‎I shook my head. "We've never needed that."

‎"I think everybody checks eventually."

‎***

‎That evening, I'd told Cameron about the conversation while we folded laundry.

‎He smiled without looking up from the pile of towels.

‎"I'd rather you ask me anything than spend a night wondering."

‎It wasn't a grand declaration.

‎Just another ordinary sentence in an ordinary marriage.

‎It wasn't a grand declaration.

‎***

‎Thursday morning started with coffee, bacon, and the sound of Cameron shaving upstairs.

‎I packed his lunch while mentally planning the rest of my day.

‎I needed groceries.

‎Then stop by the bookstore.

‎I still hadn't ordered the anniversary gift I'd been considering for weeks.

‎I reached toward the fruit bowl for a banana.

‎I packed his lunch.

‎Cameron's Apple Watch sat beside it, charging.

‎I frowned.

‎He never forgot it.

‎I picked it up, intending to take it upstairs.

‎The screen lit up. A message appeared.

‎"Last night was perfect."

‎No name.

‎Just four words.

‎"Last night was perfect."

‎I stared until the screen dimmed. The watch face returned.

‎I tapped it. The notification was gone.

‎Upstairs, the bathroom door opened.

‎I quickly placed the watch exactly where I'd found it and turned back toward the stove just as the bacon began to sizzle louder.

‎A few seconds later, Cameron walked into the kitchen, tightening his tie.

‎The notification was gone.

‎"Morning, Minnie Mouse."

‎"Morning," I said.

‎He kissed my forehead. Picked up the watch. Fastened it around his wrist without even glancing at the screen.

‎"Something smells amazing."

‎"You say that every Thursday, Cam."

‎"Because every Thursday you make bacon, honey." He grinned and stole a piece straight from the pan.

‎"You say that every Thursday, Cam."

‎Normally I would've swatted his hand away.

‎Instead, I watched him.

‎He looked exactly like the man I'd kissed goodnight a few hours earlier.

‎The same man who'd called me around six the previous evening.

‎"Looks like I'm going to be here later than I expected," he had said.

‎"Everything okay?"

‎"Looks like I'm going to be here later than I expected."

‎"Yeah. We're trying to finish something before Friday."

‎"I'll keep dinner warm."

‎"I'll make it up to you this weekend."

‎He'd come home after ten.

‎Ate reheated lasagna.

‎Complained about spreadsheets.

‎Massaged my shoulders while we watched television until I fell asleep against him.

‎There hadn't been a single moment that felt strange.

‎Until now.

‎He'd come home after ten.

‎***

‎We carried breakfast to the table.

‎The local news droned on about traffic.

‎Halfway through his eggs, Cameron checked his calendar.

‎"I'll probably be late again tonight."

‎I looked up. He noticed.

‎"What?"

‎"Nothing," I said.

‎"I'll probably be late again tonight."

‎"You've got that face."

‎"What face?" I frowned.

‎"The one that says you're thinking too hard."

‎I smiled. "I didn't sleep well."

‎His expression softened.

‎"I hate when that happens." He reached across the table and squeezed my hand. "I'll bring dinner home tonight."

‎For just a second, it almost worked.

‎I almost forgot the message.

‎"I hate when that happens."

‎Then my eyes drifted to the watch on his wrist.

‎Last night was perfect.

‎Those words settled over breakfast like an invisible guest neither of us acknowledged.

‎When we finished eating, Cameron rinsed his plate, picked up his laptop bag, and headed toward the garage.

‎At the door he stopped.

‎He looked back at me. There was something almost hesitant in his expression, as though he wanted to say something else.

‎Instead, he smiled.

‎"Love you."

‎"I love you too."

‎There was something almost hesitant in his expression.

‎The garage door rumbled open.

‎A moment later, his SUV disappeared down the street.

‎I stood at the kitchen window long after he was gone.

‎If I asked him about the message tonight, maybe he'd tell me the truth.

‎If he lied... I'd never know.

‎If he lied... I'd never know.

‎A minute later, I grabbed my purse.

‎By the time I locked the front door behind me, I still hadn't decided whether I was following my husband or chasing the first doubt our marriage had ever given me.

‎The sensible thing would've been to stay home.

‎Instead, I started my car and pulled onto the street, leaving enough distance that Cameron's silver SUV blended into the morning traffic.

‎The sensible thing would've been to stay home.

‎***

‎At first, everything looked exactly as it should.

‎He headed toward downtown.

‎Toward the office.

‎I almost laughed at myself.

‎Maybe the message had been meant for someone else.

‎Maybe I'd let four words unravel nine years of trust.

‎I was already planning the apology I'd never have to make when his right turn signal flashed.

‎Maybe I'd let four words unravel nine years of trust.

‎He took the Station Road exit.

‎His office wasn't that way.

‎I followed.

‎Station Road cut through one of the older parts of town, where family-owned businesses had survived long after the shopping malls moved in.

‎Cameron slowed outside a florist.

‎I parked across the street.

‎He disappeared inside.

‎Cameron slowed outside a florist.

‎The seconds stretched.

‎I kept telling myself there had to be a reasonable explanation.

‎Anniversary flowers.

‎A client.

‎Someone in the hospital.

‎When he came back outside, he carried a single white rose.

‎Not a bouquet.

‎Just one.

‎He laid it gently across the passenger seat before driving away.

‎When he came back outside, he carried a single white rose.

‎I frowned.

‎One flower felt... personal.

‎I hated that my mind immediately filled in the blanks.

‎The next stop only made it worse.

‎A small tailor sat two blocks away.

‎Cameron walked inside empty-handed and came back carrying a navy garment bag.

‎He hung it carefully in the back seat.

‎Flowers.

‎Freshly pressed clothes.

‎Another late night.

‎The message.

‎The next stop only made it worse.

‎I gripped the steering wheel until my fingers ached.

‎"Stop doing this," I whispered to myself. "You don't know anything yet."

‎But doubt is persuasive.

‎Once it slips into your head, it starts rewriting yesterday.

‎Every late meeting suddenly feels suspicious.

‎Every distracted smile gains a different meaning.

‎Once it slips into your head, it starts rewriting yesterday.

‎I found myself remembering little things I'd ignored before.

‎A Saturday morning he'd left early.

‎A text that made him smile.

‎A Friday when he'd come home humming a song I didn't recognize.

‎None of those moments had bothered me then.

‎Now they lined up like pieces of a picture I didn't want to see.

‎None of those moments had bothered me then.

‎***

‎Cameron drove another fifteen minutes before turning into the parking lot of the Oakridge Community Center.

‎I blinked.

‎This wasn't a hotel.

‎Not a restaurant.

‎Not even an office building.

‎A banner near the entrance read:

‎THURSDAY BALLROOM SOCIAL

‎Ballroom?

‎This wasn't a hotel.

‎I almost smiled.

‎Cameron couldn't dance.

‎At our wedding reception he'd stepped on my shoes so many times my maid of honor joked that she'd add steel toes to our anniversary gifts.

‎He parked beside the building, took the garment bag and the white rose, and disappeared through a side entrance.

‎I waited.

‎One minute.

‎Then two.

‎I should've left.

‎Instead, I climbed out of the car.

‎I should've left.

‎Music drifted faintly through an open window.

‎A piano. Slow. Gentle.

‎I followed the sound down a quiet hallway until I found a narrow window looking into a large studio.

‎Then I froze.

‎Cameron stood in the center of the room.

‎A woman rested one hand on his shoulder.

‎Their other hands were clasped together.

‎A woman rested one hand on his shoulder.

‎They moved across the polished floor in perfect rhythm.

‎One. Two. Three.

‎One. Two. Three.

‎She smiled at him. He smiled back.

‎She stopped to straighten the front of his shirt. Then she laughed at something he'd said.

‎My stomach dropped.

‎They moved across the polished floor.

‎Inside the studio, the music stopped.

‎The woman clapped her hands.

‎"No," she said with an amused smile. "You're getting there, but your timing's still off."

‎She reached for Cameron's hands again.

‎He nodded.

‎"Let's try it once more."

‎How many times had they done this?

‎How many "late nights" had really happened here?

‎How many times had they done this?

‎I took one step backward.

‎Then another.

‎I couldn't breathe.

‎Nine years.

‎Nine years of believing I knew the man I loved.

‎I turned toward the hallway, desperate to leave before he saw me.

‎Then another voice stopped me.

‎An older man's voice.

‎"I don't think I can do it."

‎Then another voice stopped me.

‎I looked back into the room.

‎An elderly man had just stepped onto the dance floor.

‎He stared at the white rose in his trembling hands while Cameron walked toward him with the kind of patient smile I'd seen him wear exactly once before.

‎The day he'd taught our nephew how to ride a bicycle.

‎Confusion pushed through the heartbreak.

‎Who was he?

‎And why was my husband looking at him instead of the woman I'd been so sure was the reason I'd followed him?

‎Who was he?

‎I stayed where I was.

‎The older man stood in the middle of the dance floor, turning the white rose slowly between his fingers.

‎"I don't think I can do it," he repeated.

‎The woman I'd assumed was Cameron's affair partner smiled kindly.

‎"That's what you said last week, Arnie."

‎"And the week before," Cameron added.

‎"I don't think I can do it."

‎The old man sighed.

‎"I mean it this time, guys."

‎Cameron walked over and rested a hand on his shoulder.

‎"No. You're scared this time."

‎The room fell quiet.

‎"I haven't asked a woman to dance since I was seventeen," the older man said. His voice cracked just enough to tell me this wasn't a joke. "I keep thinking she'll laugh."

‎"No. You're scared this time."

‎Cameron shook his head.

‎"No. You keep imagining she'll laugh."

‎He picked up the rose and handed it back.

‎"My grandfather used to tell me something."

‎The old man looked up.

‎"He said most people think regret comes from hearing 'no.'" Cameron smiled gently. "But most regret comes from never asking."

‎"Most regret comes from never asking."

‎The man stared at the flower.

‎"I've already wasted fifty-eight years, son."

‎"Then don't let another five seconds decide for you, Arnie."

‎The words settled over the room.

‎I suddenly realized I wasn't looking at a secret romance.

‎I was looking at borrowed courage.

‎"I've already wasted fifty-eight years, son."

‎***

‎The dance instructor noticed me first. Her eyes widened slightly.

‎Cameron turned. The color drained from his face.

‎"Mindy?"

‎Neither of us moved.

‎His gaze dropped to the watch on his wrist, then back to me.

‎"You saw the message."

‎I nodded, stepping inside. "I thought..."

‎"You saw the message."

‎"I know." He closed his eyes for a moment. "I should've told you I was helping someone while learning to dance myself. I should've told you enough that you never had a reason to doubt us."

‎He didn't defend himself.

‎He didn't ask why I'd followed him.

‎He simply looked... disappointed in himself.

‎"I kept telling myself I was protecting Arnold's privacy," Cameron admitted softly.

‎He didn't ask why I'd followed him.

‎"But with every lesson, he got a little braver," he added. "I'd come home dying to tell you about it, about how I was helping an old man fulfill his dream of learning to dance for his sweetheart. But then I'd remember I promised him I'd keep it a secret."

‎He let out a slow breath.

‎"The worst part?"

‎I looked at him. "Yeah?"

‎"I hated walking through our front door with something wonderful on my mind and not being able to tell the person I wanted to tell most."

‎"I was helping an old man fulfill his dream of learning to dance for his sweetheart."

‎Something inside me gave way.

‎Not because he'd been innocent.

‎Because he understood exactly where he'd gone wrong.

‎"I stopped asking questions," I admitted. "I answered them myself."

‎He nodded once.

‎"And I made that easy."

‎The instructor smiled apologetically.

‎"I'm Grace, by the way." She held up her phone. "And I'm also the idiot who sent that message."

‎"I answered them myself."

‎I blinked. "You?"

‎She laughed. "After every rehearsal I text the volunteers. 'Last night was perfect.' It's just my way of saying thank you."

‎Cameron groaned. "I forgot my watch mirrors my phone notifications."

‎I couldn't help it. I laughed.

‎Grace smiled. "I've never caused quite this much trouble before."

‎"It's just my way of saying thank you."

‎Arnold cleared his throat.

‎"I hate to interrupt..."

‎We all looked at him.

‎"...but Irene's outside."

‎Every trace of color disappeared from his face.

‎"Cam, I can't." He took one step backward. "I really can't."

‎Cameron started toward him.

‎"...but Irene's outside."

‎Without thinking, I reached for Cameron's wrist.

‎He stopped. I looked at Arnold.

‎"I spent all morning believing love had quietly disappeared from my marriage," I said.

‎His eyes met mine.

‎"I was wrong."

‎I gently took the white rose from his trembling hand. Then I placed it back.

‎"Please don't spend another day wondering what would've happened if you'd been brave for five more seconds."

‎"I was wrong."

‎Arnold swallowed hard.

‎"What if she says no?"

‎"Then you'll know." I smiled. "But I don't think she will."

‎He looked toward the doorway.

‎A woman with silver hair had just stepped inside.

‎She wore a pale blue dress and scanned the room until her eyes found Arnold.

‎Her smile appeared instantly.

‎"What if she says no?"

‎Arnold took one shaky breath.

‎Then another.

‎Finally, he walked to her.

‎"Irene..."

‎She laughed softly.

‎"Hello, stranger."

‎He held out the rose.

‎"I've been meaning to ask you something since 1968."

‎She waited.

‎"Would you give me the dance I was too frightened to ask for back then?"

‎"I've been meaning to ask you something since 1968."

‎For one endless heartbeat, nobody spoke.

‎Then Irene accepted the rose.

‎"I was beginning to think you'd never ask."

‎The room erupted into gentle applause.

‎Music filled the hall.

‎Arnold offered his hand. Irene took it.

‎His first step was clumsy.

‎His second wasn't much better.

‎By the third, they were both laughing too hard to care.

‎"I was beginning to think you'd never ask."

‎I slipped my hand into Cameron's.

‎"Next time," I whispered, "if you're protecting someone's hope... tell me that's what you're doing."

‎He looked at me.

‎"I will."

‎"And next time," he said, squeezing my hand, "I'll remember yours comes first."

‎I rested my head against his shoulder as Arnold and Irene swayed beneath the soft lights.

‎"I'll remember yours comes first."

‎"You know..." I whispered.

‎"What?"

‎"Last night really was perfect."

‎Cameron watched Arnold accidentally step on Irene's foot. She burst into laughter and kissed his cheek.

‎He smiled. "Almost." Then looked at me. "Now it is."

‎"Last night really was perfect."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

GIRLS HELP GIRLS DIVORCE OR DIE FULL MOVIE

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”