‎I Pretended to Be the Daughter of an Elderly Man I Met by Chance – Days Later, His Lawyer Found Me and Said, 'You Walked Straight Into His Trap' ‎

 


‎I Pretended to Be the Daughter of an Elderly Man I Met by Chance – Days Later, His Lawyer Found Me and Said, 'You Walked Straight Into His Trap'

‎After my mother died, I started volunteering at a hospice because I could not bear going home to an empty house. That was where I met Nathan, a dying man with no visitors, no emergency contact, and one final request that should have made me walk away.




‎Two years after my mother died, I started volunteering at a small hospice outside town.

‎I told people I wanted to help.

‎The truth was that I needed somewhere grief could exist without anyone asking when I planned to move on.

‎Nathan had one leather bag and no emergency contact listed.

‎That was where I met Nathan Cole.

‎He was fifty-nine, sharp-eyed, and annoyed by almost everything. He hated weak coffee. He hated daytime television. He hated when nurses called him brave.

‎Most patients had flowers, photographs, or relatives who arrived carrying food.

‎Nathan had one leather bag and no emergency contact listed.

‎"You remembered cream in my coffee."

‎During my second shift, I brought him coffee from the cafe across the street.

‎He took one sip.

‎"You remembered cream in my coffee."

‎"You complained about it for twenty minutes."

‎"Complaining does not guarantee anyone listens."

‎A few days later, the volunteer coordinator stopped me in the hall.

‎"It does when you are impossible to ignore."

‎That earned the first smile I saw from him.

‎A few days later, the volunteer coordinator stopped me in the hall.

‎"Nathan requested you."

‎"Why?"

‎I should have asked more questions.

‎"He said you remind him of someone."

‎I should have asked more questions.

‎Instead, I started visiting him before I signed out.

‎Nathan told stories in pieces. He had washed dishes, driven delivery trucks, and spent most of his life running a diner.

‎Whenever I asked whether he had children, he changed the subject.

‎The man held up a folder.

‎Once, while I was doing a crossword beside his bed, a man in a dark suit appeared in the doorway.

‎Nathan's face changed immediately.

‎"What do you want?"

‎The man held up a folder.

‎"Your signature."

‎The man glanced at my coffee, then at the crossword book between us.

‎Nathan took the papers without introducing us.

‎The man glanced at my coffee, then at the crossword book between us.

‎For one second, something hard crossed his face.

‎"This is Eric," Nathan said. "He handles my paperwork."

‎Eric gave me a restrained nod.

‎I remember thinking Nathan treated him like an employee who had stayed too long.

‎Then Nathan dismissed him without another word.

‎I remember thinking Nathan treated him like an employee who had stayed too long.

‎One rainy evening, Nathan reached for my hand.

‎"I have one last wish."

‎"That sounds dangerous."

‎My mother had raised me alone.

‎"Pretend you are my daughter until I am gone."

‎I stared at him.

‎Nathan looked toward the window.

‎"Life separated me from my little girl before she was born. I never got to know her."

‎My mother had raised me alone.

‎Nathan’s request should have disturbed me.

‎She never told me my father’s name. After she died, I found no photographs or documents identifying him.

‎She had only said he chose fear over us.

‎Nathan’s request should have disturbed me.

‎Instead, it touched the oldest wound I had.

‎I forced a smile.

‎Nathan laughed until he coughed.

‎"Well then, hello, Dad."

‎Nathan laughed until he coughed.

‎I reached for the call button.

‎"Do not ruin my first minute as a father."

‎"You are already demanding."

‎For six weeks, we built a small, borrowed family.

‎"I have lost time to make up for."

‎For six weeks, we built a small, borrowed family.

‎I brought him coffee. He saved crossword clues for me. I pushed his wheelchair through the garden while he criticized flowers he had never planted.

‎The hospice approved two outings after Nathan signed medical releases.

‎The manager greeted him by name.

‎The first was to Millie’s Diner.

‎The manager greeted him by name.

‎"Good to see you, Nate."

‎Nathan shrugged when I looked at him.

‎"I used to work here."

‎A waitress brought Nathan coffee without asking what he wanted.

‎We sat in a corner booth.

‎A waitress brought Nathan coffee without asking what he wanted.

‎He ordered two slices of apple pie.

‎"Expecting company?" I asked.

‎"I dislike making decisions."

‎The second outing was to the ocean.

‎People sometimes assumed I was his daughter.

‎I helped him across the sand. He removed his shoes, pressed his feet down, and closed his eyes.

‎"Worth it?" I asked.

‎"Ask me when I can't stand."

‎People sometimes assumed I was his daughter.

‎Nathan always answered before I could.

‎Still, after years of caring for my mother and being needed by everyone, I liked being chosen.

‎"She is."

‎Every time he said it, warmth moved through me, followed by guilt.

‎I knew we were pretending.

‎Still, after years of caring for my mother and being needed by everyone, I liked being chosen.

‎Nathan weakened quickly.

‎"Was I convincing?"

‎During my final visit, he could barely keep his eyes open.

‎"Was I convincing?" he asked.

‎"As a father?"

‎"As someone worth remembering."

‎I held his hand.

‎At his funeral, I recognized hospice workers, the diner manager, and a silver-haired waitress.

‎"You were difficult."

‎"That sounds honest."

‎"And I will remember you."

‎He died the following morning.

‎At his funeral, I recognized hospice workers, the diner manager, and a silver-haired waitress.

‎He watched me place a flower on Nathan’s casket.

‎Eric stood alone near the back.

‎He watched me place a flower on Nathan’s casket.

‎He did not approach me.

‎The following afternoon, Eric called.

‎"My name is Eric Cole. I handled Nathan’s estate. I need to tell you something he should have told you himself."

‎A wooden box sat on the table.

‎We met in a conference room at his office.

‎A wooden box sat on the table.

‎Eric looked exhausted.

‎"Nathan was your biological father."

‎For several seconds, the words meant nothing.

‎Inside was a signed acknowledgment of paternity from before my birth.

‎Then my chest tightened.

‎"No."

‎Eric slid a file toward me.

‎Inside was a signed acknowledgment of paternity from before my birth, copies of letters my mother had returned unopened, and a recent genealogy match.

‎Nathan had found me through the database.

‎Years earlier, I had submitted my DNA while looking for relatives on my mother’s side.

‎Nathan had found me through the database.

‎"He confirmed your identity and learned where you volunteered," Eric said. "He chose that hospice because of you."

‎My stomach turned.

‎"He arranged everything."

‎"Yes."

‎I stood so quickly my chair struck the wall.

‎"You knew?"

‎"Yes."

‎"For all six weeks?"

‎"Yes."

‎I stood so quickly my chair struck the wall.

‎"Nathan believed you would refuse to see him if you knew."

‎"You let me pretend he was a stranger."

‎"I did."

‎"Why?"

‎"Nathan believed you would refuse to see him if you knew."

‎"That was my choice."

‎"He threatened to refuse treatment and remove me from every medical decision if I told you."

‎"I know."

‎"Stop saying that."

‎Eric lowered his eyes.

‎"He threatened to refuse treatment and remove me from every medical decision if I told you. I told myself he was dying. I told myself six weeks of comfort would hurt less than the truth."

‎I wanted him to defend himself.

‎"You decided his comfort mattered more than my consent."

‎"Yes."

‎His voice cracked.

‎"I was wrong."

‎I wanted him to defend himself.

‎Inside were two bundles of letters.

‎It would have been easier to hate him if he had.

‎Eric opened the box.

‎Inside were two bundles of letters.

‎One carried my name.

‎The other carried his.

‎"Who are you to Nathan?"

‎Beneath them were documents leaving us joint ownership of Millie’s Diner.

‎I looked at him.

‎"Who are you to Nathan?"

‎Eric’s jaw tightened.

‎"His son."

‎That hurt in a different place.

‎Nathan had panicked when she became pregnant.

‎Eric explained that Nathan had married years after leaving my mother.

‎Nathan had panicked when she became pregnant, left town, and returned months later claiming he wanted to help. By then, my mother wanted nothing from him.

‎He sent letters for years.

‎She returned them unopened.

‎Eric grew up in Nathan’s house but rarely saw tenderness from him.

‎His later attempts did not erase the first choice he made.

‎He had still left.

‎Eric grew up in Nathan’s house but rarely saw tenderness from him.

‎"He paid bills," Eric said. "He attended school meetings. He never asked how I felt unless the answer affected my grades."

‎"And you still protected him."

‎Eric looked toward the window.

‎"Then you arrived with coffee, and he became someone I had wanted my entire life."

‎"He had never trusted me with anything emotional before. When he told me about you, I thought he was finally treating me like his son."

‎He swallowed.

‎"Then you arrived with coffee, and he became someone I had wanted my entire life."

‎"You resented me."

‎"Yes."

‎I opened Nathan’s letter that night.

‎"I did not take him from you."

‎"I know."

‎I glared at him.

‎He stopped himself.

‎"No," he said. "You did not."

‎He had raised Eric without warmth.

‎I opened Nathan’s letter that night.

‎He admitted he had failed us differently.

‎He had abandoned me.

‎He had raised Eric without warmth.

‎He said he arranged our meeting because he wanted to know whether I could love him before I knew what he had done.

‎He had asked whether he was convincing.

‎His regret had become another demand.

‎Then I reached the final page.

‎He had asked whether he was convincing.

‎The answer made me sick.

‎He had not been pretending to be my father.

‎I called Eric the next morning.

‎He had been pretending not to be.

‎Nathan wrote that he hoped Eric and I might give each other what he had denied us.

‎I called Eric the next morning.

‎"We are not required to become family because he wanted a clean ending."

‎"I agree."

‎We communicated through separate attorneys for the next month.

‎"And I am not forgiving you."

‎After a pause, Eric answered.

‎"I understand."

‎We communicated through separate attorneys for the next month.

‎Millie’s could not be sold without both signatures.

‎The silver-haired waitress from the funeral recognized me.

‎The building was valuable. The business was not.

‎Eric wanted to sell the property, pay the debts, and divide what remained.

‎I agreed until we visited.

‎The silver-haired waitress from the funeral recognized me.

‎"You came with Nathan."

‎"Nathan started here as a dishwasher. He bought the building years later."

‎"Yes."

‎"I am Rosa."

‎She led us to the corner booth.

‎"Nathan started here as a dishwasher. He bought the building years later."

‎She touched the table.

‎Six employees depended on the diner.

‎"Every year on your birthday, he ordered two slices of pie."

‎I folded my arms.

‎"Missing someone is not the same as finding them."

‎"No," Rosa said. "It is not."

‎Six employees depended on the diner.

‎"We cannot preserve every failing business out of the goodness of our hearts."

‎Eric remained practical.

‎"We cannot preserve every failing business out of the goodness of our hearts."

‎"And selling it solves everything?"

‎"It pays the debt."

‎"It also removes six incomes."

‎Then he did something I didn't expect.

‎Paul, the manager, overheard us.

‎He looked at Eric.

‎"Your father told us he was trying to make things right."

‎Eric went still.

‎Then he did something I didn't expect.

‎"She did not know Nathan was her father. I did. I helped him hide it until he died."

‎"He lied to her," he said.

‎Paul frowned.

‎Eric continued.

‎"She did not know Nathan was her father. I did. I helped him hide it until he died."

‎The room became silent.

‎That was the first time he stopped protecting Nathan’s image.

‎Rosa stared at him.

‎Eric’s face reddened, but he did not look away.

‎"I chose his wishes over her right to know. Whatever happens to this diner, do not blame her for delaying the decision."

‎That was the first time he stopped protecting Nathan’s image.

‎Three days later, Eric sent me a written apology.

‎That was the first thing he did that cost him something.

‎He offered to withdraw as estate representative and pay for independent counsel to review every document.

‎That was the first thing he did that cost him something.

‎I agreed to review the diner’s accounts.

‎For four months, we met twice a week.

‎Read also
‎Homeless Man Brought My 12-Year-Old Daughter Home – I Was Shocked When I Saw His Birthmark
‎My Wife Disappeared After Our Wedding Night – 10 Years Later, Her Letter Arrived in the Mailbox
‎My Daughter's Tears Exposed the Truth About the New 'Perfect' Man I Let Into Our Home After Divorce
‎We argued about money, staffing, and whether saving the diner was loyalty or guilt.

‎Eric disclosed every mistake before I found it.

‎We found a way to keep it open by selling an unused lot behind the building and reducing hours until the debts were under control.

‎The details mattered less than the work.

‎Eric disclosed every mistake before I found it.

‎I defended him when Paul blamed him for Nathan’s choices.

‎He learned I had worked two jobs while caring for my mother.

‎The hospice later entered a formal partnership with Millie’s.

‎I learned he had spent most of his savings on Nathan’s treatment.

‎Neither discovery erased what happened.

‎It changed the shape of our anger.

‎The hospice later entered a formal partnership with Millie’s.

‎Once a month, the diner served free breakfasts to hospice families.

‎I stopped assuming every practical suggestion was cold.

‎We did not rename the place after Nathan.

‎We left the corner booth unchanged.

‎Trust grew through small things.

‎Eric called when he said he would.

‎I stopped assuming every practical suggestion was cold.

‎Eric sat in the corner booth with two slices of apple pie.

‎We argued, apologized, and came back.

‎On my birthday, I arrived before opening.

‎Eric sat in the corner booth with two slices of apple pie.

‎"I suppose he finally got his table for two," he said.

‎I looked at the empty seat.

‎Missing me for years did not repair what he had done.

‎Nathan had manipulated me.

‎He had denied me the chance to confront him.

‎Missing me for years did not repair what he had done.

‎But the six weeks had also been real.

‎Love did not cancel anger.

‎Then he moved over and sat beside me.

‎Anger did not make love false.

‎I pulled a third chair toward the table.

‎"No," I said. "He does not get to decide who belongs here."

‎Eric looked at the chair for a long moment.

‎Then he moved over and sat beside me.

‎I looked at the envelope.

‎Before the doors opened, Eric reached into his briefcase and placed Nathan’s unopened letter to him on the table.

‎"I still haven’t read it," he said.

‎"Why not?"

‎"Because I know what he’ll ask me to forgive."

‎I looked at the envelope.

‎I pushed the letter back toward him.

‎"Maybe he won’t."

‎"He always wanted the ending before doing the work."

‎That sounded so much like my own anger that I almost laughed.

‎I pushed the letter back toward him.

‎"You don’t have to read it today."

‎He nodded and slipped the letter into his coat instead of the briefcase.

‎Eric studied me.

‎"Did you read yours all at once?"

‎"No. I stopped three times."

‎"Did it help?"

‎"It hurt differently each time."

‎For once, neither of us let Nathan set the pace.

‎He nodded and slipped the letter into his coat instead of the briefcase.

‎It was a small distinction, but I noticed it.

‎For once, neither of us let Nathan set the pace.

‎We sat quietly until Rosa turned on the lights, and the windows reflected three chairs together.

‎We left Nathan’s slice in the center of the table.

‎Rosa unlocked the front door.

‎Families from the hospice began entering.

‎We left Nathan’s slice in the center of the table.

‎Rosa looked at the three chairs, disappeared into the kitchen, and returned with one more fork.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Adopted the Girl Everyone Blamed for My Daughter's Disappearance – 10 Years Later, She Faced Me and Said, "Everything You Know About That Night Is a Lie"

GIRLS HELP GIRLS DIVORCE OR DIE FULL MOVIE

My Wife and 3 Daughters Vanished – 12 Years Later, My Son Called Me to Our Basement and Said, “I Found a Disc That Mom Left Before She Disappeared”